Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#28786 - 12/16/09 10:26 PM optical input problems and more
Don K Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Boulder, CO
I am most certain that I will need to send my Outlaw in for servicing (out of warranty, of course). Before I do, I thought I would let you all know what is going on and perhaps you can let me know what I can expect to spend on the service.

The first thing that I noticed was that a couple of the optical inputs started to act up (as in, they would work at first, but then lose the signal lock and get confused). This happened with two of the inputs, so I know it isn't a bad cable or component.

The second problem is that I am getting an intermittent crackling sound that increases when I use more electricity (such as when I plug in a vacuum cleaner somewhere in the house). Its as if the electrical interference is getting into the Outlaw circuitry. Its possible that this problem is elsewhere in my HT setup, but pretty unlikely, since it started at the same time as the other issue and occurs regardless of the input source.

So, I think I don't have much choice but to send it in. Any idea of what Outlaw charges for repairs?

Thanks!

#28787 - 12/17/09 12:20 AM Re: optical input problems and more
Jimna Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO
the electrical noise is common. get a power conditioner and dedicate the circuit your system is on to the system. they both are recommended in any audiophile application. i have a couple conditioners built into my wall sockets. its a must for critical listening IMO.

FYI, the power conditioner will help flatscreen TVs perform better too.

Outlaw 970>
Emotiva XPA-2>
Martin Logan Preface

Some Of My Live Recordings: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/J.Mimna

My Concert Photographs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimna/collections/72157613267633153/

#28788 - 12/17/09 01:19 AM Re: optical input problems and more
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Your house shares a circuit with the 950 and everything else, the ground. If there is a bad ground or some leakage to ground with electrical appliances it can show up in you 950. In an ideal HT setup all the components share the same common ground and it goes to earth. If there is a difference in the grounds some voltage may be generated and we get loop hums and sometimes rice crispy sounds. Power conditioners make it easier because they become the common ground and isolate the system from ground disturbances. Try plugging your 950 into an extension cord and plug it into a different circuit to see if that helps. If it does, then look at the receptacle you normally plug into to make sure it is well grounded and the wiring is all tight. Any switch or receptacle on that circuit should also be checked for the same thing. Over time, circuitry loosens and corrodes such that the connections degrade.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#28789 - 12/17/09 03:58 PM Re: optical input problems and more
Don K Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Boulder, CO
Thanks for the suggestions. I agree that it would be wise to isolate my HT system, especially since I live in the mountains where the power is not always stable. However, I've used the 950 for many years now and I never had the crackling noise. It showed up about the same time that the optical inputs started failing, so I'm thinking it could be part of the same issue (bad circuit or solder joint). Regardless, I will most certainly need to send it in for servicing.

#82357 - 02/06/10 02:05 PM Re: optical input problems and more [Re: Don K]
Fanatic Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Did you find out what the problem was with the optical inputs? I am having the same issue with both optical and coax inputs stop working. They come back on after powering it off in the back for a while.

#83708 - 05/16/10 12:26 PM Re: optical input problems and more [Re: Fanatic]
thok Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I just wanted to add that I too am now intermittently seeing the same optical input problems with at least two optical inputs. At first I thought it was just my DirecTV DVR, the cable it uses, or unusual numbers of errors in the audio stream from the DTV satellite, because I had only ever seen it when using that component. Then, I was playing a video game the other day using a different optical input and cable, and the same exact thing happened: the input lost signal lock and could never regain it despite constantly trying. When this happens, the display constantly switches back and forth between 'Dolby D' and 'S/PDIF Unlock'. It will sometimes recover, but it usually continues to switch once this happens. Temporarily switching to a different digital input, or even the analog input, and back does not clear the problem. It seems to clear after the system is off for some time. I was wondering if anyone had pursued this further and had any suggestions.

#83787 - 05/26/10 08:24 AM Re: optical input problems and more [Re: thok]
greenhorn1 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I am having the exact same problem with the signal lock and switching back and forth between Dolby D and S/PDIF Unlock. It doesn't seem to matter which optical or coax input I use and I have tried multiple cables. Has anyone found a solution for this problem or know if it's something outlaw could fix if I sent the unit in for service?

#84349 - 07/24/10 02:46 PM Re: optical input problems and more [Re: greenhorn1]
Il Davo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: San Diego, CA
Sounds like my 950's having the same problem described in this thread: After several years of great service, my most-used optical input (from a Dish 501 PVR) frequently displays "S/PDIF Unlock" and does not produce sound. This happens most often on startup (turning on the 950) and usually resolves itself in about 5 minutes if left alone.

I've never before sought help from Outlaw customer service. Can anyone who has recently pursued a Model 950 repair update this thread with Outlaw's requirements (payment, timeframe) and your results? I'd really like this thing to work until the 998's available.

Thanks

#84384 - 07/29/10 12:52 PM Re: optical input problems and more [Re: Il Davo]
arica9 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bethel, CT, USA
I just received my return shipping info from Outlaw for my 950. All the same optical lock/unlock problems described here. Repaired for 75.00 plus the shipping. Tech said he replaced another board that was not testing right as well.

#84385 - 07/29/10 02:10 PM Re: optical input problems and more [Re: arica9]
Jimna Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO
good to hear! i wish my 970 would be done soon. Im getting frustrated being the second time in a few months this has happened, and this round is taking a lifetime....how long did it take for yours to be finished?

Outlaw 970>
Emotiva XPA-2>
Martin Logan Preface

Some Of My Live Recordings: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/J.Mimna

My Concert Photographs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimna/collections/72157613267633153/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts