Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#28814 - 09/20/08 03:53 PM 950 and Blu-ray players
Happy Birthday mdanderson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Garland,Tx. USA
Anyone using their 950 with a Blu-ray player? I know that you would have to use the 5.1 analog inputs for latest audio codecs but I was wondering about how it sounds. Thanks.

Matt
Oppo UDP-205/LG 65C6
Outlaw 976 prepro/ Emotiva BasX A-700 amp
Power Sound Audio 15S

#28815 - 09/24/08 12:41 AM Re: 950 and Blu-ray players
Raider Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, TN
I have the same question. I want to purchase a blu ray player with built in decoding. Will the 950 pass this signal through for the new surround sound formats?

#28816 - 09/24/08 01:18 AM Re: 950 and Blu-ray players
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The 950 will pass the new surround formats through in analog, just as it does with DVD-Audio and SACD or any other analog source. That's one reason the multichannel analog input exists - it affords you some future-proofing for new formats that were created after the 950 itself was.

#28817 - 09/24/08 02:34 AM Re: 950 and Blu-ray players
Raider Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, TN
Thanks, gonk. Now my next problem. I have a Denon universal DVD player that I use to listen to SACD and DVD - A. Of course, it is connected to the 950 via the multichannel analog connections. If I purchase a blu ray it will need the same connection. I cannot do without my SACD, so will I be forced to change the connection everytime I go from one to the other? Or is there some switching type of switching device?

#28818 - 09/24/08 04:26 AM Re: 950 and Blu-ray players
gonk Offline
Desperado

Yeah, that's a problem - and one that a lot of us have been struggling with. There are switching devices available, but I've not ever used one. The ideal solution is a player that supports Blu-ray, DVD-Audio, and SACD. The only player on the horizon that offers a hope of that is OPPO's BDP-83, which is still in development. SACD support has already been promised, but DVD-A is still apparently not guaranteed. We should hopefully know more before the year is out, and OPPO hopes to ship the player some time between late November and February.

#28819 - 09/24/08 04:53 AM Re: 950 and Blu-ray players
Happy Birthday mdanderson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Garland,Tx. USA
gonk is right about the need for a switching device for 5.1 analog and SACD/DVD Audio and Blu-ray. I looked at some on the RAM Electronics web site but have never tried one. I too hope that Oppo's new Blu-ray will offer all three.
Oppo UDP-205/LG 65C6
Outlaw 976 prepro/ Emotiva BasX A-700 amp
Power Sound Audio 15S

#28820 - 09/29/08 02:37 PM Re: 950 and Blu-ray players
surroundophile Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago, Il. USA
As I reported about this in the past, go to Radio Shack, and buy two of their video switch boxes. They provide push-button switching input for for four video sources (composit video and L/R audio.
These inputs are straight-through (no electronics to degrade). So, each box provides an input of video and L/R audio....that's three channel of pass through. 3 channels x 2 boxes = 6 channels (5.1).They are small boxes that can sit on top of the 950. The only "inconvienience" is you have to get up and switch two boxes at the processor (no remote control). With four inputs you can have a universal player, a BD player, HD-DVD player, and a legacy Quadraphonic input!
The Radio shack boxes are, if I remember, under $50 total.
Someone does make an 5.1, remote control channel box, but it's several hundred dollars.

#28821 - 10/05/08 09:27 PM Re: 950 and Blu-ray players
M Conley Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Brigantine, NJ USA
My 950 is still performing flawlessly but obviously is dated. I recently ordered a PS 3 for Blur Ray and the numerous other features included. I would have been happy to use HDMI from PS 3 to HDTV and tempoaraily use Optical out to 950 for DD 5.1 until Outlaw releases their new pre-pro. From what I see Blue ray is not offering alternate DD 5.1 soundtracks. So does that mean that I will have to listen in 2 channel until I get the new Outlaw pre-pro? Below is a few words on Blue Ray audio from AVS forum:

"The PS3 will not bitstream advanced audio formats to your AVR (i.e., it can only bitstream basic Dolby Digital and DTS surround audio formats). The PS3 can decode all of the Blu-ray Disc standard and optional audio formats and convert them to multichannel LPCM and pass that to your AVR via HDMI. Thus, to get the full advantage from the superior audio formats offered on BD, as compared to DVD, you must connect your PS3 to an AVR that has HDMI inputs that can accept multichannel LPCM (most AVRs that have HDMI inputs can do this except for a very few low-end models).

The PS3 console has three types of audio outputs. The advanced high resolution Dolby, DTS and multi-channel PCM surround audio formats are only fully supported when using the HDMI output. However, if you are willing to live with just a 2-channel output in PCM (rather than the full surround sound formats) the improved fidelity offered by the advanced high resolution audio formats can be provided via the optical digital audio and even the analog audio outputs. Also Standard Dolby and DTS surround formats (as used on DVDs) can be output via the optical (Toslink) digital audio connection in bitstream format."

Anyone care to discuss?

#28822 - 10/05/08 09:53 PM Re: 950 and Blu-ray players
gonk Offline
Desperado

Quote:
From what I see Blue ray is not offering alternate DD 5.1 soundtracks.
Dolby TrueHD, DD+, and DTS-HD tracks all contain a core DD or core DTS track - the PS3 will pipe that to the optical output. This is what I've done with my BD30 and it works fine.

#28823 - 10/06/08 12:22 AM Re: 950 and Blu-ray players
M Conley Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Brigantine, NJ USA
Thank you Gonk. That's great news. As I have done with every new format that has come along in 30 years I will make the debut of my PS 3 in 1080p a memorable one. I will be watching Iron Man. Even if only in DD 5.1 the picture should be impressive.

Just got new Klipsch Reference speakers all the way around but they won't be debuting that night! Hope to have the new Outlaw pre pro by X-mas!

Thanks again Gonk!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 149 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts