Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#27821 - 03/05/05 02:08 PM Multi Zone 12v Trigger
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
Can you use the 12v output trigger on the 950 Multi Zone control to power up additional devices in your Main zone?

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#27822 - 03/05/05 03:05 PM Re: Multi Zone 12v Trigger
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

I think I may have my problem solved and I don't know why this isn't used more often, but if you don't use the Multi Zones you can use the Multi Zone trigger with a good programable remote. I need this because I have two Panamax units one of which only needs to be on when I am using certain devices. The other Panamax is used anytime the 950 is on, which is most of the time. I wish the 950 had source triggers.

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#27823 - 03/24/06 10:35 PM Re: Multi Zone 12v Trigger
survey_sez Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Southern Tier, NY
hmmmm...

not sure what you were trying to do or why you needed a 'good programmable' remote to solve it

but -

can your method be used with the 950 remote to control (turn on) a projector (12v trigger) when only video sources are selected?

#27824 - 03/25/06 01:05 PM Re: Multi Zone 12v Trigger
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

My system is setup where I would use the 950 and an M200 amplifer to center channel speaker, most of the time. This is for watching regular TV. The other amps and devices that are used for 5.1 are not on. The reason I do this is because the system as a whole can use more than what one 15A circuit could provide so it is split between two Panamax's each going to a dedicated 20A circuit. When I turn on the TV my 950 turns on which triggers the first Panamax to turn on the M200 and anything else I need for TV viewing. What I did to be able to run the other amps is to connect the second zone trigger to the second Panamax and use a macro on my MX500 remote control to turn it on. Even though there is nothing connected to zone two, the trigger still works and starts up all my other devices.

You could use this method to turn on your projector. I had to use one of the programmable M buttons on the bottom of the MX500 to use this feature, but I think you would be able to program the macro into one of the buttons that control video swittching on the 950 with an MX 700 or better remote. Someone with an MX700 would have to answer that. With the MX700 setup like this when you want to watch a movie with the projector and it wasn't on you would hold down the button for that device longer than two seconds and it would switch to that circuit and run the macro that would turn on zone two which would turn on your projector. Any other time you pressed that device button for a second it would just switch the circuit. The only problem with this is when you turn everything off the second zone does not get turned off, you would have to remember to turn it off before you shut everything down.

Some questions for you.

What type of projector is it?

Can the projector turn itself on and off through other means such as if it senses a video signal?

What kind of remote are you using?

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#27825 - 03/25/06 01:33 PM Re: Multi Zone 12v Trigger
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The MX700 will allow a macro on basically any button - for example, I have almost every device button on the main screen set to run macros (they select the correct input on the 990, make sure the TV's on the correct input, and set the TV's aspect ratio).

You could easily set up a macro identical to MeanGene's (assigned to the "M1" button on the Model 950's own SL-9000 remote if you are still using it) to be a toggle for projector on/off.

#27826 - 03/26/06 07:30 AM Re: Multi Zone 12v Trigger
phogandive Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fitchburg, MA USA
Hi,
My projector also has a 12 volt trigger (Panasonic AE-700), but it is an output, like the 950 is, not an input...i.e. you turn the projector on, and it turns on the trigger, for things like an electrically lowered screen, etc. Make sure your projectors trigger is an input trigger before hooking it to the 950.

Peter

#27827 - 03/26/06 10:16 AM Re: Multi Zone 12v Trigger
survey_sez Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

doh! thanks phogandive - manual shows it connected to a screen without any additional description so i can reasonably assume it's an output as you suggested. thanks!!

meangean - it's an optoma h79. it would be nice if it turned on with video present but it doesn't...using the stock 950 remote.

gonk - i'm holding off on a replacement remote bedcause it's one more complicated thing to learn how to program!! i guess it would be nice to be able to reduce the number of remotes i'd need to one.. or the macro stuff might make it easier for others to operate my system...

all - outstanding forum!! i've been lurking for quite some time and am very impressed with the polite people, lotsa knowledge and quick answers!!

#27828 - 03/26/06 10:42 AM Re: Multi Zone 12v Trigger
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The 950's remote will do some macros (I used them to turn everything on and off and to toggle the six-channel input on). You might want to check out the SL-9000 manual to get a better feel for what the 950's remote is capable of.

#27829 - 03/26/06 03:32 PM Re: Multi Zone 12v Trigger
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

If you don't mind spending a little on a remote, you could go over to SurfRemoteControl and pick up one of there open box specials. I think an MX800 with the MRF200 base station would accomplish what your need. You would need to put the MRF200 near your projector (10 feet) and connect the IR Flasher to your projectors IR receiver. Then setup your new remote as any other. The MX800 comes with software that allows you to configure the remote by using your computer and having the remote connected to one of your serial ports. This makes it easier for professional installers to get your system up and running quickly and it makes it easier for us too.

The MX800 comes with over 1500 code sets which include the Outlaw 950 and some Optima's although your model was not listed there was a code set for the H56 model.

Hope this helps.

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#27830 - 03/30/06 09:51 PM Re: Multi Zone 12v Trigger
survey_sez Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks very much everyone. Excellent suggestions.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 77 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts