Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#27993 - 04/11/05 08:40 PM Need 3 component inputs
Scott Griscom Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC, USA
I need a suggestion for making connections to an InFocus 4805 via the component out on the 950 as the only connection. This issues I see are:

1. I will use the two component inputs to connect my DVD player, XBox but I use a SVHS VCR connection to the 950 via svideo as my TV cable tuner. No HDTV yet which causes another dilema, how do you connect 3 component sources to the 950.

2. Also I understand that the svideo input will not upconvert to the component montior out, so I would have to run a seperate svideo cable to the 4805 for the TV cable tuner to display. Is this correct.

3. Lastly, do you need the svideo connection to display on screen information from the 950?

Thanks,
Scott

#27994 - 04/11/05 09:22 PM Re: Need 3 component inputs
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
1. As you know, the 950 only has two component inputs, so a third component video source would need to either connect independently or allow component video pass-through. That second choice may allow you to do HD with your projector, depending on whether you use cable or satellite. At least a couple of the HD cable boxes available in my area include a pass-through component video, optical digital, and coaxial digital inputs (my Pace Micro DC-550 supports all of this, which could allow you to connect the XBox to the cable box and then use one input on the 950 for both).

2. You are correct that the s-video does not crossconvert to the component video output. This means that any composite or s-video sources would require an s-video cable running to your projector.

3. If you want the OSD at your projector, you will need the s-video connection. The front panel display does provide access to everything, making the OSD somewhat optional.

Hope this helps.

#27995 - 04/11/05 10:07 PM Re: Need 3 component inputs
Scott Griscom Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC, USA
Thanks for the info gonk. I had the same thought about using some sort of pass through device. I will make sure either the cable box I get (currently cable is directly into the S-VHS) or the HD or Tivo unit has a pass through for component. I just need to verify that I am not losing the benefit or faroudja processing by not connecting with component if I go the svideo route.

Really don't see any sense buying a $100 svideo cable just for OSD if the 950 screen can display all. Afterall, you know it's too loud when your ears (or neighbors) tell you, not your eyes.

Thanks,
Scott

#27996 - 04/12/05 12:02 PM Re: Need 3 component inputs
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I agree that OSD alone doesn't warrant such a long video cable since the front panel provides the necessary information for setup.

Getting the pass-through may take a little work, I'm afraid. In my area, Time Warner Cable offers the Pace DC-550 as an alternative to the standard Scientific Altanta boxes (check out a copy of the manual here ), which has the necessary pass-through capabilities. The DC-550 appears to have been replaced by the DC-551 , which also has this ability. Scientific Atlanta doesn't seem to offer any boxes with this capability, and I don't think Motorola does either (I'm not sure whether cable in your area uses SA or Moto boxes).

#27997 - 04/17/05 11:02 AM Re: Need 3 component inputs
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
You have probably already thought of this but, the 990 has three component inputs and allows the OSD through component connections. It will also do the Transcoding between composite, S-Video and Component Video Inputs.

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

Who's Online
0 registered (), 164 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts