Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#27597 - 02/10/05 11:59 PM Running two powered subs in stereo
pmarcian Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Houston, TX
I just pulled the trigger and ordered a 950. I'd like to know if you can run two powered subs by connecting the L/R 2nd zone outputs to the subs. If so, will it also work running in analog bypass? Many thanks.

#27598 - 02/11/05 07:57 AM Re: Running two powered subs in stereo
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
You could connect the subs, but I'm afraid the results would be very unsatisfactory. The second zone is essentially a completely independent signal path. It is analog only and controlled separately: the subs would not receive any signal from digital sources or the six channel analog input, you would have to switch the second zone's input every time you switched the main input, and you would need a third subwoofer connected to the 950's sub output for LFE and low frequency data transferred to the sub by the 950's bass management.

You can run two powered subs from the 950's sub output with a simple splitter, however.

#27599 - 02/12/05 08:50 PM Re: Running two powered subs in stereo
Sound Killer Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by pmarcian:
I just pulled the trigger and ordered a 950. I'd like to know if you can run two powered subs by connecting the L/R 2nd zone outputs to the subs. If so, will it also work running in analog bypass? Many thanks.
I could help you adding 5 pair or more of L/R signal from the main channel or even surround channels without even using a high-loss spliter. Just tell me about it, bro.

#27600 - 03/09/05 10:45 AM Re: Running two powered subs in stereo
CP Tomes Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by pmarcian:
Just split the pre-outs for the front l/r and send the second line to the sub's input. Set the front l/r to "large" and tell the 950 that there is no subwoofer. All the LFE and bass from "small" speakers will be redirected to the front l/r outputs. Set the crossovers on the subs to match well with your l/r mains.

We did this on this system:

http://www.cptomes.com/images/system1.jpg
http://www.cptomes.com/images/topleft1.jpg

old pic... The 950 is where the blank block-off is, the dbx 234 and Samson amps have been replaced with Hypex (from Adire audio) 3-way plate amps. Drivers are Vifa TC series 3/4", 3 1/2", and 7". Subs are PE Titanic MKII 12" and -794 250W plate amps.

#27601 - 03/09/05 11:41 AM Re: Running two powered subs in stereo
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
CP Tomes's approach will work well with both digital sources (including analog sources that are processed digitally by the 950) and in stereo bypass mode. The subs will of course be active in stereo bypass mode in this scenario.

The only case that might give you some trouble is the six channel analog input - if you have DVD-Audio or SACD and your player does not allow you to redirect the LFE channel into the mains before leaving the player, the LFE track would be lost. If you aren't using the six channel analog input (and a lot of folks don't), this is not a concern and CP Tomes's approach works fine.

#27602 - 03/09/05 03:06 PM Re: Running two powered subs in stereo
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Here's a link to one of my infamous stereo subwoofer threads. laugh

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=36397

#27603 - 03/09/05 09:37 PM Re: Running two powered subs in stereo
Paratrooper Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Conyers,GA,USA
I have used Soundhound's StereoSub configuration for about six months. I prefer this arrangement over two subs being fed with a splitter from the LFE jack on the 950. Finding subs with selectable line level high pass outputs, at a resonable price, is difficult.

#27604 - 03/12/05 12:37 PM Re: Running two powered subs in stereo
alain_pilon Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Montréal, Québec Canada
I would like to try this new sub hook up to see the performance difference but i have one question. Since your telling the system that there is no sub how do you go about calibrating the sub whe your perform the sound calibration of the system??

Alain

#27605 - 03/13/05 02:02 AM Re: Running two powered subs in stereo
jcmccorm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, AL, USA
Ok, Soundhound, I like the idea. I happen to have two subs, each placed up front next to the left and right mains. They are identical subs (Velodyne F1200's) and have a line-in and line-out. Currently I have them hooked to the 950's LFE output with a splitter. All I need is the extra interconnects and I'm in. I'll give it a shot....

Cary

#27606 - 03/14/05 11:24 PM Re: Running two powered subs in stereo
jcmccorm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, AL, USA
Well I'll be. It was a PITA to hook it up (no rear access to the rack) so I did the 950 EPROM upgrade at the same time. Yanked *everything* out.

I've still got some listening to do, but so far I like it. The beauty so far is that I can use Avia to easily calibrate the sub and it now matches perfectly when using either DVD (digital input) or the analog bypass.

Still listening...

Cary

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts