Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#25548 - 03/14/04 08:45 AM 950 grounding/ground loop hum
blaineh Offline
Gunslinger

I get a hum from any device connected to the 950, including the sub that runs directly to it, before the ICBM. (I'm running w/ 2 ICBM's, the first is a modded magnapan edition that I'm using as a active biamp xover in stereo mode. I have caps installed in main channels like the center channel that allow the doubling of the freq xover. So my maggie center xover is at 160hz, to the bass panels of the mains. The mains xover at 240hz. The second ICBM is stock and xover is for 80 and 100hz for my rear maggies to a rear sub. I have the 950 set up on all small and 40hz, so a HSU sub handles below 40 and LFE)
I see the fault in the low level RCA cables, and I use outlaw and top RS cables (w/ twisted pairs and Ferrite cores) I put cheater plugs on each of the 3 amps (nak 7a, outlaw 755, crown 300a) and the subs and buzz goes away. Thing is, I can hear my local CB/2meter radio guy now.
I have noticed that there is no ground pin on the 950's AC cable plug. Do new 950's have a 3 wire plug? Has anyone tried grounding the 950? I thought maybe it needs to float otherwise the oulaws would have provided a ground...just don't know.
I know I've seen this posted on before, but I've only seen cheater plugs as the solution, and a isolation transformer on the wall worts. (I will be doing that, along with ferrite cores on those little dc lines, but this is coming from the 950)
Any experiance would be appriciated...

#25549 - 03/14/04 12:15 PM Re: 950 grounding/ground loop hum
grundrc Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Montgomery, TX
I had your exact problem when I got mine. Yes, putting a cheater plug on the Amp eliminated the hum. I didn't feel comfortable with that. But, another thing I did that eliminated it was to isolate the Amp from the rest of the equipment. I had a seperate surge protector laying around and used it for the Amp. The 950 and the rest of the equipment went into another surge protector. The two surge protectors were plugged into different outlets in the same recepticle. Wa La!! No humm. Try it. Maybe it will work. Good luck.

#25550 - 03/14/04 02:45 PM Re: 950 grounding/ground loop hum
JMS Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NE Ohio
I had noise from one speaker. When I removed a cheap rca-rca cable that I was using for video to an old tv the buzz disappeared. I also added a Brick Wall surge protector with isolated outlets. I believe the Tripplite also has this feature.

Jay

#25551 - 03/14/04 08:52 PM Re: 950 grounding/ground loop hum
blaineh Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks guys
I am using a triplite active regulator/EMF filter with isolated banks for the low level stuff, along with a servomotor driven "adjustable transformer" that keeps the voltage right on and without modifing the sinewave. I have a large isolation transformer with a MOV on the primary and a 12volt relay hooked to the trigger from the 950. The low level power stuff is plugged into a different outlet in one corner of the room, and the isolation trans is about 8 foot away. Preamp level cables are run seperate and not parallel from speaker or high current power cables. I suspect that the ground potential of the 950 is the problem, causing current to flow in the sheilding of my cables, resulting in the hum. Anyone try grounding the 950 directly? I was thinking self tapping screws and aluminum wire to all

Who's Online
0 registered (), 144 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts