Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#25528 - 03/09/04 12:20 AM Digital volume control and cables?
Rick Butor Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Sarasota, Fl
I am wondering if the 950 has analog or digital volume control and does that have any effect on lower volumes? Also what is the best cable package for my Sony 9000ES DVD, main speakers, Martin Logan and Velodyne sub? I will be purchasing the 755 amp as well. Thanks!

#25529 - 03/09/04 12:30 AM Re: Digital volume control and cables?
Rick Butor Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Sarasota, Fl
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Butor:
I am wondering if the 950 has analog or digital volume control and does that have any effect on lower volumes? Also what is the best cable package for my Sony 9000ES DVD, main speakers, Martin Logan and Velodyne sub? I will be purchasing the 755 amp as well. Thanks! One more thing, what is the best conection of wire method to amp and speakers, direct or banana plugs or what?

#25530 - 03/09/04 12:53 AM Re: Digital volume control and cables?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Unless Outlaw is unusually forthcoming with technical details, I don't think you are going to get an answer to the volume control question. My best guess would be that it is a digitally controlled resistive ladder attenuator, but that is just conjecture. In any event, it is very transparent sonically, and is unlikely to have any adverse effect at low levels.

Banana plugs offer the advantage of quick connection/disconnection, but spade lugs or even bare wire under the binding posts will work just as well. I use whatever is most convenient, usually spade lugs.

#25531 - 03/09/04 09:58 AM Re: Digital volume control and cables?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'll trust soundhound's guess on the mechanism of the volume control. At a more basic level, the volume control itself takes place in the analog domain, if that's what you are asking.

In most cases, I prefer to use spade lugs for my speaker cables. The connections to my surrounds are bare wire because of space limitations. The connection from amp to wall plate for the surrounds' in-wall wiring is done with bananas because it is most convenient.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts