Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#24994 - 12/30/03 06:47 PM stereo mode
ernda1 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Just want to get it straight. If I listen to a cd in 2channel stereo mode (not bypass--the cd will be connected to the 950 with a digital cable only) will bass signal be sent to the subwoofer if the front speakers are set on "small"? Thanks

#24995 - 12/30/03 06:56 PM Re: stereo mode
Unferth Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Homewood, AL, US
Yep.. anything lower than the cutoff frequency for your front speakers will go to the sub on non-bypass mode..

#24996 - 01/23/04 11:34 AM Re: stereo mode
ndack Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Looking at buying a 950. Have lost several pounds in the process, mostly due to drool and sleepless nights.

Quote:
Originally posted by Unferth:
Yep.. anything lower than the cutoff frequency for your front speakers will go to the sub on non-bypass mode..

I'm VERY interested in the filtering that separates the mains and the sub. This "small" mode... is it programmable? I.e. cutoff frequency and amplitude? (Guess I should read the autobiography of Manual...)

I assume that the firmware is proprietary, but I've just GOT to ask: is it available to the public? I.e. freaks like me (I'm a firmware designer by trade) that may want to customise beyond the limits of good sense and taste.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

#24997 - 01/23/04 12:06 PM Re: stereo mode
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
By all means, take a spin through the manual if you haven't already. There's some good stuff in there. Page 26 has some information on the speaker configuration and bass management.

The 950's bass management includes three independent adjustable crossovers -- one for the mains, one for the center, and one for the surrounds. These crossovers come into play for any speakers that are set to "small" (when set to "large" the signals skip the bass management). This means that you can (for example) set the crossover point for the mains at 40Hz, the center channel crossover at 60Hz, and the surround channels' crossover at 100Hz. In each case, the material below the crossover point will be redirected to the subwoofer. (In the case of a system with no subwoofer, the mains have to be set to large; that allows the 950 to pass the redirected bass from center and surrounds to the mains.)

The firmware is not available as far as I am aware.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

Who's Online
0 registered (), 183 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts