Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#87149 - 06/14/11 05:11 PM Eight Years with the 950
LightninBoy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Paul, MN
In this day and age few products last eight years, never mind pre/pros. Eight years in the pre/pro business is an eternity. Think back to 2003 ... the format battle was DVD-A vs. SACD. People were still arguing over coaxial or toslink. Digital video was delivered over a new interface called DVI. The next few years ushered in HD-DVD, Bluray, HDMI (version 1 to 1.4), hi rez multi-channel audio, Ipod, streaming, etc, etc.

With so much changing, one thing remained constant in my system ... the Outlaw 950. True - a lot of that has to do with my late adopter tendencies. But a big credit has to be given to the flexibility of the 950 platform. With it, I was able to make a lot of different configurations work. Between the trim controls on the multichannel analog inputs, the true bypass, analog bass management, the flexible signal routing, simple OSD, flexible remote, etc. - I was always able to integrate new technologies into my system via the 950.

Lately, I've been patiently waiting for Outlaw to produce a modern pre/pro with full HDMI support to help me manage my ever increasing HDMI sources. My patience has finally run out and I've replaced the 950 with a pre/pro from another maker.

But this post is not about the other pre/pro. Its a celebration of a product that for me defined the Outlaw philosophy and, indeed, an entire new way of buying affordable high quality audio gear. I respectfully urge Outlaw to remember these roots and core values as they forge their next generation of products.

I'm leaving Outlaw for now, but I want to come back. I hope Outlaw makes it easy for me to do so.

#87578 - 08/10/11 12:31 PM Re: Eight Years with the 950 [Re: LightninBoy]
Hank Offline
Desperado

Loc: Austin, Texas, USA
Nice tribute, LightninBoy. I still have my 950 with its loud buzzing torroid and barely working volume knob, holding out for the 978 that's supposed to ship by year end.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 177 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts