Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#28462 - 04/02/06 02:41 PM TV Ears
CluelessInChicago Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago, IL 60616
Hi.

My current problem is to get "TV ears" working with the 950. I would like to get it so that I have a stereo out for whatever is currently playing on the 5.1 output. I thought that maybe using the second zone would be the solution, but that appears not to be the case, or I cannot figure it out.

Any solutions (short of just dividing the L/R outputs of the 5.1) appreciated.

#28463 - 04/02/06 02:54 PM Re: TV Ears
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'm not entirely sure what the "TV ears" goal is - are we talking about feeding over-the-air TV to the 950? It sounds like you want to have a purely two-channel output all the time, which I'm guessing is intended to go to the TV. Running a copy of the left and right outputs is probably not going to appeal to you since so much dialog is going to be carried by the center channel. The second zone is probably the best bet, but it's analog only - so digital inputs don't come through. If you want to use the second zone, you'll need to run analog connections from any sources you want to have available for this setup. The 950 won't use the analog when you have digital connections assigned, but the second zone will.

#28464 - 04/02/06 07:06 PM Re: TV Ears
CluelessInChicago Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago, IL 60616
TV ears is essentially a stereo headphone. The idea is to emphasize the voice range. It is an IR device that transmits to a headset from a stereo analog input.

Right now, I have a microphone listening to the center channel and using that as an input to the IR outputting base station. It looks like it might not get any better than this.

Oh well.

Thanks for helping, Gonk.

#28465 - 04/02/06 07:11 PM Re: TV Ears
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If it's a wireless stereo headphone, then the second zone might actually be a great fit. You'd need to add some stereo analog cables in parallel to the digital audio where there is digital audio, but once you do that you'll have independent input and volume control for the headphones and you won't have to worry about losing the voice data in the center channel because your source will be from upstream of any surround processing.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 159 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts