Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#27277 - 01/05/05 12:32 AM Can I place an unshielded sub near my 950?
poffypoffa Offline
Gunslinger

I know it's an issue with tvs, but what about audio equipment? I've been fighting a ground loop, and I may need to move my sub next to my equipment rack. Is this an issue? (No VCR in the rack, by the way. I know THAT would be an issue. :lol)

Also, unrelated to the 950, is it a problem if one of my mains is partially in front of my subwoofer driver? The speaker is on a spiked, sand-filled stand, so I'm not sure the vibrations would transfer.

#27278 - 01/05/05 08:18 AM Re: Can I place an unshielded sub near my 950?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I've had an unshielded tower speaker directly alongside my equipment rack (including the 950) for years now - I don't believe that it would pose a problem to locate a sub next to the equipment rack.

Is the sub's driver actually firing toward the main speaker, or is it a downfiring sub? I'd be less worried about inducing vibrations in the main speaker than I would in restricting the sub if the speaker is too close and obstructing too much of the sub's driver.

#27279 - 01/05/05 11:57 AM Re: Can I place an unshielded sub near my 950?
poffypoffa Offline
Gunslinger

There would be a few inches clearance, so I don't think that will be an issue. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

#27280 - 01/05/05 06:41 PM Re: Can I place an unshielded sub near my 950?
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
Is there any unit with some sort of a harddrive in there? If not, then the vibration should be the only thing.

#27281 - 01/06/05 11:54 AM Re: Can I place an unshielded sub near my 950?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
i wouldnt put a main in front of my sub. its stand or anything for that matter, particularly if it is front firing...

#27282 - 01/06/05 01:15 PM Re: Can I place an unshielded sub near my 950?
The Spatula Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Southern California
The only thing that I can think of is if you're putting it near a turn table or disc player of some type, the vibration can cause the laser and/or needle to skip.

For magnetism issues, I would just keep it clear of your Tivo and/or X-Box, because they do have hard drives that may be affected. wink

#27283 - 01/06/05 02:19 PM Re: Can I place an unshielded sub near my 950?
poffypoffa Offline
Gunslinger

"i wouldnt put a main in front of my sub. its stand or anything for that matter, particularly if it is front firing..."

Unfortunately, I only have two options in my living room--partially behind one of the mains, or next to my listening seat. Next to the seat did not work well at all. So far, behind the main has worked OK. Testing with the AVIA disc, there is a little bit of overall bass reduction from that speaker compared to the center or left speaker (I'm guessing a phase issue of some sort, or simple room acoustics), but it's not severe, and I'm sure it's balanced fine by the other two.

I am very tempted to sell my sub and go with the Outlaw soon, because I think the downward-firing speaker will be a bit easier for me to integrate into my room. But for now this will have to be sufficient.

Thanks!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts