Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#26269 - 07/16/04 11:21 PM Newbie -- be gentle
bschott Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Ok, I'm defiantly not audio orientated, however with a recent sale of our house, I've come into some money that I can throw at home theater equipment. So rather than just dealing with the local stores I hate (Best Buy, and Circuit City) and buy crap. I've been trying to do a little research and get some half decent equipment.

Ultimately, a magazine lead me to Outlaw, the reviews of the 950 seem very favorable and the price is where I'd like to be. I'd prefer the equipment to look a little better, but if the sound (well theater sound) blows away any of the junk @ those stores I'm sold.

Anyhow, not to bore you with the details, however I do have some questions. Please keep in mind that I'm not in any way near to an AV novice. I just did a little reading (so I guess that makes me dangerous).

My Video equipment will most likely be a Sharp Aquos LC-37HV4U LCD TV, perhaps using the Outlaw 950/7100 (keeping price into perspective!) to drive the audio signals in to a 5.1 setup. My speakers are the hang-up @ the moment, Perhaps the B&W VM1 Stuff, but again, no knowledge here, just brief reading.

I'd welcome any thoughts and or comments as to this particular setup. Again, I need a simple, but decent (or good) sounding system without spending too much...

Thanks for your info.

#26270 - 07/16/04 11:52 PM Re: Newbie -- be gentle
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
The best research you can do is to go down to your local hi-fi store with some of your favorite CD's/DVD's and have them demo some speakers for you. If your ears then tell you they like the speakers, the Outlaw combo will power it just fine. If you can arrange a demo of the speakers in your room with the Outlaw combo there also, all the better...

Reading reviews is a great way of getting some background information about what gear is out there. If you read enough reviews, you'll find tendencies about how the gear might work in your room. However, until you experience it in person, you'll never really know if you'll like it or not. Also, people around here (sometimes), and on other forums (all the time), will tend to recommend what they're used to. Their recommendations may be a great place to start, but don't spend your money on their favorite gear. You're the one whose going to have to live with what you buy.

Good luck with your search, but most of all, have fun!

P.S. You're sure you can't just throw that money my way.

#26271 - 07/17/04 08:25 AM Re: Newbie -- be gentle
bschott Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Jason,

Thanks for your informative reply. Your comments will be well heeded. I'm surely curious as to what other folks use for their setup so that I can as you mention, at least to glean info.

Rather than just the chain stores, I'll look up real AV houses in our area -- as they may be able to provide more guidance in the area of speakers.

Thanks again.

Brian

#26272 - 07/17/04 09:44 AM Re: Newbie -- be gentle
dengor Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: newtown, pa us
When auditioning speakers, I'd like to emphasize the importance of having a consistent baseline.

1. Listen to familar content rather than what is in the store. I brought several CDs/DVDs with me to stores and selected the tracks I wanted to hear. Include a range what you will hear at home - maybe movies with loud crashes and a few different styles of music (rock, female vocals, etc).

2. Consistent electronics. Make sure all tone controls (bass, treble, equalization) are set to neutral. Since loud music may sound "fuller" than the same content at low volumes, make sure the volume is at the same level and approximates what you will hear at home.

#26273 - 07/17/04 08:47 PM Re: Newbie -- be gentle
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The 950/7100 combo is a very good package and will be a step up from the receivers typically sold at a large chain electronics outlet like Best Buy or Circuit City. I use a 950/750 combo (the 750 is Outlaw's original amp, 165Wx5) to drive Paradigm Reference Studio v2 speakers (Studio/60's, Studio/CC center, Studio/ADP dipole surrounds as surround backs driven by a used Parasound HCA-800 amp) and Axiom M3ti surrounds.

Speakers are a personal choice to a certain degree. Some good brands that are owned by Saloon members include Paradigm, Axiom (available online only), B&W, Boston Acoustics, Klipsch, M&K, Energy, Polk, Magnepan, Definitive Technology, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch more. I think you're heading in the right direction by checking out some local A/V shops, and as already suggested it is best to take some demo material that you are familiar with. When I bought my Paradigms, I had narrowed it down to DefTech and Paradigm Reference and spent over an hour with a few CD's, switching between some DefTech towers and Paradigm Studio/60's with the same source player, pre-amp, and amp. An in-home demo is also a great approach if you can do it and have narrowed it down to one or two speakers.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#26274 - 07/18/04 01:44 AM Re: Newbie -- be gentle
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
If you are into online companies like Outlaw, you owe it to yourself to check out www.av123.com. I own their Reference speakers and they are phenomenal, but the Rockets and ELT's are the real value of the lineup if you are into great sound and a great looking speaker to boot.

#26275 - 07/19/04 10:16 AM Re: Newbie -- be gentle
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
I own Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's for my front stereo pair. They sound excellent with my Outlaw 1050. Ascend is similar to Outlaw in that they sell direct via internet only, and offer great value for the performance you get. Their website www.ascendacoustics.com offers any combination of their speaker models for a HT package. They also sell Hsu subwoofers with their systems if you desire one, though I'd give the LFM-1 serious thought as it is a Hsu-derived design. You can get owners opinions at www.ascendforum.com as well. Their CBM-170 has been compared to the Rocket(Onix)Ref1 for a fraction of the cost!

#26276 - 07/19/04 11:35 AM Re: Newbie -- be gentle
bschott Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the good tips and sites. I came across a few that peaked my intrest.

http://www.fluance.com/fluanceavhtb.html

And

http://www.hometheaterdirect.com/

Anyone have any expericence with either of these companys?

Thanks. Brian

#26277 - 07/19/04 12:02 PM Re: Newbie -- be gentle
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

If you put priority in HT sound over accurate music reproduction, as well as the lowest possible cost, those may work for you. The HTD stuff will give you high output home theater sound, but may leave your ears hurting for more natural music reproduction. The Fluance line seems "cheap" to me, just my opinion. The best thing to do is find real user reviews of these products to get real world opinions. The Ascend forum I linked in my former post is a good place to ask speaker questions as there are posters there who have done some serious comparisons among various speaker brands. Don't try to be too frugile, you will have to live with your choice!

#26278 - 07/19/04 12:42 PM Re: Newbie -- be gentle
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

Way off topic here.........Gonk, I thought you'd appreciate this:
gonk
gonk /gonk/ vi.,n. 1. To prevaricate or to embellish the truth beyond any reasonable recognition. In German the term is (mythically) `gonken'; in Spanish the verb becomes `gonkar'. "You're gonking me. That story you just told me is a bunch of gonk." In German, for example, "Du gonkst mich" (You're pulling my leg). See also gonkulator. 2. [British] To grab some sleep at an odd time; compare gronk out.!

Don't know why you ended up with that nickname?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 89 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts