Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#26199 - 06/29/04 08:01 PM work around for no a/b switch?
rknerr Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Tallahassee, FL
Hope this is in the right place?

I'd like hear suggestions on ways to use the 950 with (2) M200's driving (2) Maggies for 2-channel music, a 7100 for (5) superzeros for HT and the other (2) 7100 channels for (2) subs for both, any ideas on the best way without a $15 Radio Shack RCA A/B switch?

------------------
Thanks, Rick

#26200 - 06/30/04 08:33 AM Re: work around for no a/b switch?
shawnb16 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: North Haven, CT
I take it your subs are passive (non powered)? Have you tried using the multi zone (second zone) from the 950 for your music to the Maggies. This gives you the isolation your looking for, you don't have to introduce any switches or splitters. And it's all controlled from the same remote. Good Luck.

#26201 - 06/30/04 08:43 AM Re: work around for no a/b switch?
rknerr Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Yes, the subs are passive. These speakers are all in the same room. If I do the multi zone thing, can I turn down the volume to the 'mains' and still get sub with the multi zone? Would volume adjustment then be a bit of a pain?

------------------
Thanks, Rick

#26202 - 06/30/04 10:20 AM Re: work around for no a/b switch?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The multi-zone system is completely independent from the main zone, including the bass management (which does not apply to zone two). The second zone will only work with analog inputs, and the sub will not be active. It would be possible to select the same source for both main and second zones and turn down the main volume, but that volume control affects the sub exactly the same as it affects the other channels so you would be turning down the sub at the same time.

I may be missing something, but I can't think of any way to drive two separate sets of speakers from the same pre-amp without an external switch. There are some A/V switches at Radio Shack that will accept a remote control signal to change inputs, which would let you switch modes without getting up.

A somewhat unrelated item... What subs are you using? I ask because many passive subs like a lot of power, and it's common for people to use amps with a higher power rating than the 7100 to drive them.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#26203 - 06/30/04 10:59 AM Re: work around for no a/b switch?
rknerr Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

That was my thoughts too. The only remote Radio Shack A/B switch is for cable and not RCA.

The subs are a pair I built, 10", about 2.5 cubic feet, ported & tuned to 28 hz if I remember right. I used to power them with a 25 year old 63 wpc Technics (my 1st, I bought new) receiver before Outlaw when I also had a 120 wpc Sony receiver. 100 watts each is plenty even compared to the 300 watts each to the 4ohm Maggies which are known power hungry & still rather inefficient. (but I love 'em) I still actually have to cut the subs 5db to get 'em flat with the Maggies, but none with the superzeros.

------------------
Thanks, Rick

#26204 - 06/30/04 12:27 PM Re: work around for no a/b switch?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
There used to be a product (number 15-1977) at Radio Shack that was a remote-compatible four-input A/V switch, and I'd assumed they still made it. Looks like they've dropped it from their web site, although I did finally find the 15-1976 (the non-remote version). You might try some local stores, see if they still have one.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

Who's Online
0 registered (), 138 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM