Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#26043 - 06/03/04 04:09 PM Dolby Digital Question
sbcgroup1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NY
Is it possible to run in Dolby Digital format using the Outlaw 950 w/out a center channel speaker? If not, is it possible w/out a sub? Can the center channel be mixed to the mains (in Dolby Digital)? Hate pro-logic in comparison!

Thanks!

#26044 - 06/03/04 05:26 PM Re: Dolby Digital Question
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It should be possible to set the center channel to "NONE" in the 950's setup and use Dolby Digital. I haven't tried it to prove it to myself and haven't dug through the manual to see what it says, but it should steer the center channel signal to the mains at that point (a phantom center, to be exact). That obviously applies to DD tracks with a center channel signal -- it's not an issue for Dolby 2.0 tracks since they only have left and right channels. For those cases, the 950 can produce some very good surround information using Pro Logic II.

If you aren't using a sub, you need to set the sub to "NONE" and set the mains to "LARGE" (so the LFE track and bass material from other channels has somewhere to go).

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#26045 - 06/03/04 08:00 PM Re: Dolby Digital Question
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
Is there an "auto" setting for the 950? I have that on my receiver. It won't do DD5.1 (and some other formats) without the proper number of speakers, but when I put it in auto mode it did play the 4 existing speakers in DD. The DD logo came up on its display screen.

#26046 - 06/04/04 12:21 AM Re: Dolby Digital Question
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by JT Clark:
The DD logo came up on its display screen.

So that is all you need to know that its correct? A little light to shine? Sometimes that signifies input and/or output...

------------------

This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

#26047 - 06/04/04 09:30 AM Re: Dolby Digital Question
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
Yes, I just assume they know how to wire and program.

With my receiver set to Auto I let the DVD just play and it uses the default DD5.1, I get the "little light" and the four speakers would play. If I tried to manually set it to DD5.1 it would go to that setting, but no sound would play. The "little light" would flash, signifying some sort of error. Same thing for DTS. I tell the DVD to play DTS (since it's not the default), it sends the DTS signal, the "little light" for DTS comes on and the four speakers would play. If I manually set the receiver to DTS I get no output and the "little light" flashing signifying an error.

[This message has been edited by JT Clark (edited June 04, 2004).]

Who's Online
0 registered (), 179 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts