Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#25920 - 05/27/04 02:24 PM No sound from front left and right in PLII-M
Joev Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Weston,Fl,USA
I've noticed that occasionally when playing a CD-R through optical 1 and some FM stations, I lose the left and right front speakers when using PLII-M. There is either no sound or a low level garbled output. When this happens everything seems to come from the Center Channel. If I skip through the disc, some cuts will play fine and others will produce the same output. Granted, I can't vouch for the quality of some of the CD-R's, so I'm not sure if the problem is program dependent or a problem with the 950 itself. I don't think it's a problem with my DVD player since commercially made discs don't seem to have the problem. Some of the FM stations are of marginal signal quality. Any suggestions?

#25921 - 05/27/04 02:31 PM Re: No sound from front left and right in PLII-M
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Joev:
I've noticed that occasionally when playing a CD-R through optical 1 and some FM stations, I lose the left and right front speakers when using PLII-M. There is either no sound or a low level garbled output. When this happens everything seems to come from the Center Channel. If I skip through the disc, some cuts will play fine and others will produce the same output. Granted, I can't vouch for the quality of some of the CD-R's, so I'm not sure if the problem is program dependent or a problem with the 950 itself. I don't think it's a problem with my DVD player since commercially made discs don't seem to have the problem. Some of the FM stations are of marginal signal quality. Any suggestions?

sounds like a bad recording or reception issue to me. sometimes when a processor is getting no signal for a fraction of time, it will act up. i have a similar problem with cdrs in my car, sometimes when switching between tracks it will take 10 sec to start playing the new track because it is having a problem reading after the gap in data. a small price to pay for free music i guess. the problems in my car are more related to its cd player i think, because the discs play fine in my dvd player. however as you are describing it, it could be your recording methods and incompatibilities with the rest of your gear....

#25922 - 05/27/04 02:52 PM Re: No sound from front left and right in PLII-M
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I agree. The most likely problem here is that you are running into an odd (and probably mono) recording that is causing everything to collapse to the center channel. This was par for the course with the old Pro Logic decoding (it would often collapse stereo tracks to the center channel if they lacked Pro Logic encoding to help it figure out the steering). Pro Logic II is much better about it, but it sounds like you've found a few things that can still trip it up.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

Who's Online
0 registered (), 130 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts