Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#25307 - 02/14/04 11:21 PM Poll: How many to get one that works?
sfield Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: MT
Just curious to see if/how atypical my situation is. I am now on my third B-stock 950.

The first one had non-functioning 5.1 inputs.

Number two had a static problem in the center channel that started with analog sources, then moved on to effect digital sources as well.

Number three arrived 4 days ago and has static problems on the left front speaker.

Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely love everything about the 950 - when it works, and Steve has been great to deal with on the customer support end. Just wanted to know how many units people have had to go through before they got one that works properly.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

#25308 - 02/15/04 10:38 AM Re: Poll: How many to get one that works?
grundrc Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Montgomery, TX
I've got the 950/770 combo. It's not a B stock, so can't comment from that perspective. But, I've had virtually no problems. I've had some hissing and humming from time to time, but those were ground issues and unrelated to the equipment.

#25309 - 02/15/04 10:45 AM Re: Poll: How many to get one that works?
Marcelo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Campinas, Brazil
I received mine about a week and a half ago. Thank god it appears to be working flawllesly, because since I live in Brazil, it would be a pain in the ass to get a replacement.

#25310 - 02/15/04 11:00 AM Re: Poll: How many to get one that works?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If you haven't come across it already, you might find this thread in the Outlaw to Outlaw forum of particular interest. It's not much help when you're dealing with faulty components, but I do believe that your experience is not typical, and I look forward to hearing you report on the 950 when you have settled in with a healthy one.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#25311 - 02/15/04 11:46 AM Re: Poll: How many to get one that works?
sfield Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: MT
Wow! Talk about unheard of customer service! I just received a call from Steve at Outlaw (at 9:30 on a Sunday morning) regarding this last unit. Definately above and beyond the call of duty.

#25312 - 02/15/04 12:02 PM Re: Poll: How many to get one that works?
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
sfield,

I received mine about a year and a half ago.

I've never had any sort of problem.

I've also enjoyed what I consider to be the best customer service from truly cool people since the day I found this site.

The Saloon has been/is populated with some very smart, quite vociferous folks, who reported every gripe and sorts of quirks and bugs a modern pre/pro could possibly have.

Some of the Outlaws have moved on to much more expensive pre/pros in their search for a specific feature set that satisfies their own particular requirements, but most of them remain Outlaws, and have reported surprisingly minimal sonic improvements for the jump in price.

The poll, if you look at it that way, can be gleaned from the thousands of posts recorded in the archives of this forum, IMO.

The 950 is one of the most scrutinized pieces of electronic hardware I've ever heard of, yet it consistently has piled up a mountain of praises, and rightfully so.

It's always a drag to receive shipment of a product like the 950 that, multiple times, has a defect, but...unlike many other companies products/service in this situation, you WILL be able to communicate and find satisfaction quickly through the best warranty in the biz, handled by some of the most able people in the biz.

When I finally upgrade to the next-gen pre, I'll hang onto my 950, because I consider it to be an audio classic, and it will take it's place alongside the stereo preamps I've kept from Crown, Macintosh and Phase Linear.

Hang in there. Outlaw will see that you get what you paid for, and the Saloon will be here to insure you get the most out of the purchase...really.

The short version: Perfect, right out of the box...zero problems over thousands of hours of playback of CD, SACD, DVD-A, DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-CD, DTS Neo 6, DD, DD-EX, DPLII, Analog Stereo Bypass, 6 CH Bypass and AM/FM.

#25313 - 02/15/04 02:29 PM Re: Poll: How many to get one that works?
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
My 950 has also exhibited outstanding audio performance since Day One.

For two years now, I've stated and restated the fact that Outlaw has the Best Customer Support In The Business.

And I just stated it again. It's still true.

#25314 - 02/15/04 04:26 PM Re: Poll: How many to get one that works?
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Albany, NY
Have had my 950 for almost a year now, I purchased it new but have not had a single problem with it. I did start a thread last week because I read of a couple of situations like yours where the customer had to go through several units before receiving one that worked properly. Hope Outlaw just sends you a brand new unit instead of B-stock just for the trouble you have been put through.

#25315 - 02/15/04 05:07 PM Re: Poll: How many to get one that works?
aej09 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, WI, US
I am on my FOURTH new (not b-stock) unit since June 2003. I sympathize with you. But it sounds like you are getting the standard red carpet treatment. Good luck.

#25316 - 02/15/04 09:26 PM Re: Poll: How many to get one that works?
Garrett Adams Offline
Gunslinger

One year on a non-B 950/7100 combo. Smooth sailing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts