Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#24900 - 12/15/03 10:16 AM Dark side of the Moon SACD?!?!
Innovator Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Albany NY
My favorite album has always been Dark side of the moon. I just ordered it in a digitally remastered 5.1 format. I'd like to get your input on SACD merit while I'm waiting for the cd to arrive.

Rick.

#24901 - 12/15/03 11:29 AM Re: Dark side of the Moon SACD?!?!
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Just remember that this is a complete remix from the original master tape elements, and it is remixed by a different person than mixed the original stereo release.

If it sounds dramatically different than the original CD, this is the reason, not just the fact that it is in SACD format.

#24902 - 12/15/03 02:40 PM Re: Dark side of the Moon SACD?!?!
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
I love the mix on the DSOTM SACD. The music on this SACD was made for surround sound.

As for SACD vs. DVD-A vs. whatever...

I'm of the opinion now that both are great. I really do enjoy the better multi-track mixes on these formats. I just picked up my first DVD-A the other day and it sounds great also. Of course, it's a big band, my favorite type of music, in surround sound so what could be wrong!

Note also that not all SACD discs are alike. Their sound can be really dependent on the source materials. The best ones are made from the original analog source elements. There are some SACDs that are made from 80's digital transfers that, well, just don't live up to the format.

Since you said that your favorite album is DSOTM, my guess would be that you will enjoy your new disc. Have fun!!

#24903 - 12/15/03 07:13 PM Re: Dark side of the Moon SACD?!?!
Innovator Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Albany NY
I also like Animals, and Wish you were here. Meddle had some goodies, especially One of these days and Echos. I'm sure Uma Guma would have a few tunes that would sound pretty trippin in a 5.1 format ;-)

I like just about all of Pink Floyds albums when the original group was still together.

#24904 - 12/15/03 10:11 PM Re: Dark side of the Moon SACD?!?!
AGAssarsson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Innovator:

I like just about all of Pink Floyds albums when the original group was still together.

Go to the source of the madness... Piper At the Gates of Dawn is available on remastered CD, and contains such Sid Barrett masterpieces as "Interstellar Overdrive" and "Astronomy Domine".

Piper At the Gates of Dawn is one of the finest works from the psychedelic era, and where Pink meets Floyd. They took their name from blues musicians Pink Anderson and Floyd Council.

#24905 - 12/16/03 11:25 AM Re: Dark side of the Moon SACD?!?!
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
For any Pink Floyd fan, I would reccommend reading "Saucerful of Secrets : The Pink Floyd Odyssey" by Nicholas Schaffner. It was published in 92 so it goes through most of the lawsuit. Here is a link to it. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...0786101-1248703
There is also a new book linked to it. Perhaps I will check it out.

Lets hope Pink Floyd gets the Bob Dylan SACD treatment.

#24906 - 12/16/03 01:08 PM Re: Dark side of the Moon SACD?!?!
RayBan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Lawn
The book was a good read, it kind of demystified the band. As far as there releases I love Animals, and even though it's not hugely popular like the others, you would enjoy listening to The Final Cut for it's sonic brilliance
Roger Waters does a great job with his solo stuff as well, and I WISH (boy do I wish) that he released a DVD of the Radio KAOS tour, that would be a great performance to have in 5.1.

#24907 - 12/17/03 10:21 PM Re: Dark side of the Moon SACD?!?!
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
What great audio sounds are out that are in a DVD video format, maybe a flipper disc? I have one by the Blue Man Group that is awesome?

------------------
MeanGene's Home

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#24908 - 12/18/03 01:13 AM Re: Dark side of the Moon SACD?!?!
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
I like The Final Cut as well. A very underrated disc IMO.

Listening to the multichannel mix of DSOTM is like listening to it for the very first time, all over again. Very well done mix.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#24909 - 12/18/03 11:54 AM Re: Dark side of the Moon SACD?!?!
DaleB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Clovis, CA,US
DSOM does for SACD what BMG did for DVD-A. Both are 'model' demo recordings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 189 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts