Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#24218 - 09/19/03 10:51 PM Double Bass and 950/ICBM Question
Slee_Stack Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: GA
Am I losing any discrete bass information with the following settings via the 6ch analog input (SACD & DVDA):

My 950 is set to FULL range for all speakers. Sub is set to OFF. Analog crossover is OFF.

All outputs run to my ICBM. (Obviously, the LFE knob has no input signal to control)
Am I losing the entire LFE (.1) track in this manner or is the LFE track being mixed in at the 950 into the FRONT channels in analog input mode?

My thought is that I'm eliminating the LFE signal or the 'doubling of bass' that the 950 creates. In any case, I have listened to many SACDs and movies and the bass effects sound quite pleasing hooked up in this fashion. I am just curious if I could miss some intended bass on a SACD or DVDA if the LFE is disabled at the 950. Any thoughts?

#24219 - 09/20/03 01:36 AM Re: Double Bass and 950/ICBM Question
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
Slee...welcome.

When you're in 6 channel bypass, the digital menu is bypassed.

The only way you'll miss LFE when in 6 CH bypass is if you haven't connected your player's analog SW out to the 950/ICBM.

If you have made that connection, the only way to avoid DB is to turn the analog BM switch to 'on'.

The easy way to remember that the digital formats menu doesn't apply (large/small, crossover, distance) with DVD-A/SACD is that it is Bypassed, thus the mode title.

It sounds like you are getting double bass the way you have it configured now, because the 950's analog BM sends a copy of below 80Hz signals from the sats to the sub and the stas at the same time when the switch id 'off'.

Hope I understood the question and the answer helps.

#24220 - 12/03/03 11:54 PM Re: Double Bass and 950/ICBM Question
Slee_Stack Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: GA
Actually, the digital menu is not bypassed in 6ch bypass (or at least not part of it). Selecting 'Subwoofer: OFF' will, in fact, disable the LFE output in 6ch mode. Try it out.

However, by disabling the subwoofer, DB is gone and I believe, so too is all LFE info.

[This message has been edited by Slee_Stack (edited December 03, 2003).]

Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users