Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#24734 - 11/28/03 09:01 PM 950 making 'popping' noises
Outlaw_Tim Offline
Gunslinger

My 950 (blue DOT/Board replaced) has started making 'popping/clicking' noises during use; this is not during input/signal switching, just normal use.

I have yet to find out what causes it, as I was just able to narrow down that it was the 950 (waiting with my ear to each piece of HT gear until I heard it).

Anyone have something like this happen to them before? My first guess would be a short, but the sound doesn't cut out, just a clicking. I've checked all the connects and actually unplugged everything except the power cord :\

Going to contact support right now.

#24735 - 12/01/03 01:17 PM Re: 950 making 'popping' noises
Outlaw_Tim Offline
Gunslinger

Well still nothing on what causes this. I spent all weekend trying to figure out the cause.

So far I haven't noticed (at least I think) this sound during TV or Movies (volume might be the problem). I hear it when playing Xbox games most of the time it seems.

#24736 - 12/01/03 02:02 PM Re: 950 making 'popping' noises
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
Tim,

Don't know if this will help, but before I ran my equipment off the dedicated AC outlets I had installed, I got popping from certain appliances/light fixtures that were on the same circuit my 950 was plugged into.

Any intermittent appliance such as refrigerator, steam iron, electric blanket, space heater, etc., and especially when the adjacent room's flourescent light fixtyre was turned off, made varying degrees of popping sounds.

Dedicated 20 amp outlets and a Tripplite line conditioner eliminated this problem for good.

#24737 - 12/01/03 03:11 PM Re: 950 making 'popping' noises
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
i had a problem with lights getting brighter when say the refrigerators condenser kicked on. while i suspected an improper ground on this older house, it turned out to be a bad splice up at the pole. the power company fixed it for free, being as it was their fault. but i would recommend calling them, they will at least check out your houses wiring from their perspective. if you had a bad ground, an electrician would be able to fix it, or maybe you could do it yourself.... if you are electrically inclined. since its mostly xbox related (you think), try taking the xbox out for a while and seeing what happens on that system and plus the xbox in elsewhere and see if there are any adverse effects of having it there... just a few suggestions that are free to do, before you start going insane trying to figure out whats the problem. :-)

#24738 - 12/01/03 03:12 PM Re: 950 making 'popping' noises
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by curegeorg:
i had a problem with lights getting brighter when say the refrigerators condenser kicked on. while i suspected an improper ground on this older house, it turned out to be a bad splice up at the pole. the power company fixed it for free, being as it was their fault. but i would recommend calling them, they will at least check out your houses wiring from their perspective. if you had a bad ground, an electrician would be able to fix it, or maybe you could do it yourself.... if you are electrically inclined. since its mostly xbox related (you think), try taking the xbox out for a while and seeing what happens on that system and plug the xbox in elsewhere and see if there are any adverse effects of having it there... just a few suggestions that are free to do, before you start going insane trying to figure out whats the problem. :-)

#24739 - 12/01/03 03:14 PM Re: 950 making 'popping' noises
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

ok i got the wrong icon, i was just trying to change "plus" to "plug".. sorry for the spam. lol

#24740 - 12/01/03 04:24 PM Re: 950 making 'popping' noises
joeren Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Amsterdam NY
Originally posted by Outlaw_Tim
I have yet to find out what causes it, as I was just able to narrow down that it was the 950 (waiting with my ear to each piece of HT gear until I heard it). Is the popping noise comming from the equipment itself and not out of the speakers?

#24741 - 12/03/03 09:55 PM Re: 950 making 'popping' noises
Outlaw_Tim Offline
Gunslinger

The sound is not coming from any speaker.

I've since seperated my gear (I was forced to stack the 950/770 and a few other things). Since then, I've narrowed down the noise to not being the 950, but my Echostar SAT 6000u HD box, when it gots hot or cools down.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 152 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts