Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#24594 - 11/19/03 03:44 AM Newbie 950/7100 Questions
nullptr Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Issaquah, WA, USA
I am in the process of planning my home theater system, and have come here seeking some information after hearing several positive references to Outlaw products (and subsequently, reading several positive reviews).

The first question is with regard to cost -- the capabilities of the 950/7100 combination clearly surpass the 1050, but what additional features about the combination justify the 3X price gap? I hear references to the value of "separates" vs. all-in-one units, but am left wondering what the true value is ... part of me thinks that having a single component could be more efficient because of fewer wires, less power, etc. Or is it simply a matter of upgradability?

The next question is about the number of channels. Basically, why 7? I can understand 6, as many people have 6 speakers (+ sub), but does that not leave an unused channel? I can't imagine it's terribly useful for the sub, as very few people who spend $1500+ on a processor/amp would have a sub to be satisfied with 100W of power. Am I missing something obvious? Can 4 channels be combined to 2 in order to provide additional power to say, front left/right in a 5.1 system?

The third question is somewhat similar in theme to the first -- what are the appreciable differences between this $1500 combination and a $1000 receiver from, say Onkyo which has essentially equivalent functionality. Is this again the value of the "separates"? Or does the quality of the Outlaw product actually make a difference in sound?

For my initial setup, I will probably be spending $2000-$3000 on 5.1 channels worth of "good bang for the buck" speaker technology . Is the 950/7100 combo a good match with this number / quality of speakers, or am I wasting a lot of the functionality of the combo here? What are the alternatives?

My sincere thanks in advance for your informed replies.

#24595 - 11/19/03 08:22 AM Re: Newbie 950/7100 Questions
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The 950 includes several processing modes not available on the 1050 (DTS ES, Pro Logic II, DTS:NEO6, ...), more robust bass management (three separate, independently adjustable crossover points rather than one adjustable crossover on the 1050; an analog 80Hz crossover on the 6-channel analog input), stereo bypass on any analog input, and component video switching. It also adds some sonic benefits, partly due to having the amp section removed and partly due to a better design. The 7100 also offers more power than the 1050. With separates, you are able to completely isolate the high-power (and therefore high potential for interference) power amps from the more delicate signals in the preamp. Plus you can replace the preamp when technology jumps ahead while keeping the amp.

Seven speakers is the standard for EX/ES -- it takes the traditional 5.1 layout and adds a pair of surround back speakers. With almost all processing modes currently in use, those two speakers get the same signal, but having two of them provides better imaging and allows for future processing to give them discrete signals.

The 950/7100 will generally sound better than a $1000 mass-market receiver. The separate amp will provide more power and greater headroom for the speakers than a receiver's amplification, particularly with difficult loads like 4ohm speakers. I'd say that the 950/7100 would be a very good match with Adire's speakers.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

Who's Online
0 registered (), 138 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM