Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#23656 - 12/02/06 06:37 PM Digital vs. expensive analog vs. cheap analog connectors
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maine
This has probably been discussed, so excuse, pls.
I have been using just regular ordinary RCAs or digital for connecting CD to 990. I've been told that high-end analog audio cables such as Nordost's "BLUE HEAVEN" or other such cables at high expense will make a big difference.

My system sounds so good with digital that I don't know if it is worth it to go to these high end cables. Opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3

#23657 - 12/02/06 11:58 PM Re: Digital vs. expensive analog vs. cheap analog connectors
Nalod Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NC
If your "happy and you know it clap your hands"!!

I think I am into blue jeans now for about 5-600 thus far for my new system.

I don't know if its better than not using it, And I paid a freaking lot for my Outlaw balanced cables for my 7500, but this quality thing I hope all will help.

Just got some new sub cables, more component cables and decided to upgrade to digital connections with coax's.

Will it matter? Not sure, but years ago I remember I rewired a different system I had running a few years and used monster speaker wire and monster RCA cables. I noticed a very stark improvement at that time.

This time I decided to get all new cables, including using the Belden 12 gage speaker wire and some nice bananna plugs all around. I did not go exotic or anyting, but the cables seem to be nice. Running my old Sony DVD using RCA into the 990 has been nice. But tomorrow I'll hook up my Oppo to the 990 via coax digital and I'll have a better idea of the improvement.

But, if you happy as it is, then don't change a thing! Happy is good!
Lfm-plus
MK Vx850 sub
velodyne Sms-1
MK 850 LCR
MK CS surround
Outlaw Balanced Cable (ouch!)
Lots of Bluejean fancy cables
Oppo SACD/DVD-A
38inch Loewe Aconda
Panamax 500
Monster Power 3500

#23658 - 12/03/06 02:53 AM Re: Digital vs. expensive analog vs. cheap analog connectors
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
nfaguys,

I've got to admit that I'm not a true believer when it comes to the benefits of exotic (and expensive!) cables. That said, I do use good quality cables (speaker, XLR, analog, digital, etc) including ones I have made myself. In the past I noticed significant improvements when using good cables over cheap (small gauge and poor shielding) ones but beyond that IMO the benefits are marginal at best. For digital and analog RCA cables I use cable and connectors that are both 75 ohm. Analog connectors can be made with 50 ohm connectors but they will not work with digital signals. I'd look for cables made with Canare, Belden and Permaseal products. All are quality (e.g. Bluejean uses Canare) products that will provide excellent results.

Speaker wire gauge should be based upon the length of the run and the impedance of your speakers. A quick google search should yield a table to help select speaker wire gauge. I use 14ga in-wall wire for runs less than 50 feet and it works well.

The choice of whether to connect a CD player via digital or analog probably should be based upon the DAC's in the CD player versus those in the 990. I have connected my CD player to the 990 with both and I like the 990's DACs better. With the digital connection I'm able to take advantage of the upsampling stereo mode which I prefer. A 75ohm RCA cable (or optical) is all it takes.

#23659 - 12/03/06 07:11 AM Re: Digital vs. expensive analog vs. cheap analog connectors
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maine
Thanks AvFan
Of course over long runs larger gauge spkr wire is preferred.

I guess I need an A-B test between "standard" RCAs and high end analog cables. Hopefully someone here has done it and will respond.
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3

#23660 - 12/03/06 08:22 AM Re: Digital vs. expensive analog vs. cheap analog connectors
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I tinkered around with different cables about four years ago, but the only really exotic stuff I tried was a couple cables borrowed from my father-in-law (Magnan Vi analog interconnects, Transparent Music Wave speaker cables). There did seem to be some sonic differences, but I came away feeling like the extreme cost yielded only minor differences and that those differences weren't necessarily better anyway. I'm currently wired mainly with Outlaw and Blue Jeans cables.

#23661 - 12/03/06 01:15 PM Re: Digital vs. expensive analog vs. cheap analog connectors
Nalod Offline
Gunslinger

Exotic, not at those prices. My equipment is good, but it ain't like im running a ten grand turntable or anyting!

The bluejeans cable is really not that expensive in comparison to store bought. I can get the lenghths I need and I like the bundle flex stuff.

Funny, All this equipment I bought and never set a foot in a store!

Im very happy with my system!
Lfm-plus
MK Vx850 sub
velodyne Sms-1
MK 850 LCR
MK CS surround
Oppo SACD/DVD-A
38inch Loewe Aconda
Panamax 500
Monster Power 3500

#23662 - 12/03/06 06:02 PM Re: Digital vs. expensive analog vs. cheap analog connectors
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
nfaguys,

I think the difference in impedance mentioned in this article is also what people were trying to tell you about. From the Blue Jeans website:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/impedance.htm

I buy a little bit better quality cables usually for the connectors. Too cheap cable has some really crappy connectors that will break easily on you. Cable quality is also relative to your system. In general, the "rule of thumb" is you shouldn't spend more than %10 of your total system cost on cables. There are other tweaks, such as power conditioning and acoustics, where you'll hear a bigger difference.

#23663 - 12/03/06 11:13 PM Re: Digital vs. expensive analog vs. cheap analog connectors
Nalod Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason J:
nfaguys,

I think the difference in impedance mentioned in this article is also what people were trying to tell you about. From the Blue Jeans website:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/impedance.htm

I buy a little bit better quality cables usually for the connectors. Too cheap cable has some really crappy connectors that will break easily on you. Cable quality is also relative to your system. In general, the "rule of thumb" is you shouldn't spend more than %10 of your total system cost on cables. There are other tweaks, such as power conditioning and acoustics, where you'll hear a bigger difference.
Well put, and in a round about way thats about what I have spend. The video ran it up.

Today I put in Coax cable from the Oppo, the DVR and an optical from the dvd changer.

Huge difference! One reference CD last week I thought was a bit harsh (given what I just spend) so I dialed up the blue jeans people and got more copper (again) And it made a huge difference.

Since this is the first "upgrade" I put in this system I must say its been a real pleasure.

The HDNT concerts on my Dvr sound much better now.

Played the Live Roxy music DVD "live at the apollo" and it just looked and sounded great!
Lfm-plus
MK Vx850 sub
velodyne Sms-1
MK 850 LCR
MK CS surround
Oppo SACD/DVD-A
38inch Loewe Aconda
Panamax 500
Monster Power 3500

Who's Online
0 registered (), 164 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts