Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#23199 - 02/11/04 02:02 PM Recommendations for wiring
Philip Martin Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Houston, TX
After much contemplation, I am about to pull the purchase trigger on a 950/770 combo. I would like purchase all the cables needed to wire the system. Would you please inform me as to the number and type of cables I will be needing to wire the following components?

Outlaw 950
Outlaw 770
Denon 2900
Toshiba TW65G80
RCA Satellite Receiver (Direct TV)

Speakers for the system are Def Tech BP 2000s, CLR 1000 and BP20s. Can you suggest an optimal wiring configuration for the 2000s which have built in 300 w amps?
As you can most likely guess, I am no expert when it comes to stereo equipment. So, any assistance you can offer will be most appreciated.

#23200 - 02/11/04 03:34 PM Re: Recommendations for wiring
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
AUDIO:
The obvious is the pre-amp to amp (950 to 770) cabling -- if you are going to be using all seven channels of the 770 (seven speakers), you'll need seven analog audio cables.

The Denon supports DVD-Audio and SACD, so you'll want a set of (6) analog audio interconnects for that. You'll also want a digital audio cable for the 2900 (either optical or coaxial, it doesn't really matter which).

The RCA satellite receiver probably has a digital audio output, which would be the preferred way to hook it to the 950. You'll need to check to see if it is optical or coaxial. If you're not sure, buy one optical and one coaxial -- whichever doesn't work can be used with the Denon, since it supports both. At least one RCA DirecTV receiver includes both coax and optical digital audio output, but older DirecTV receivers don't have any digital audio output, in which case you'll need a pair of analog audio cables to connect the RCA to the 950.

Analog audio: the "classic" interconnect, RCA plugs on the ends. An example from Outlaw's product line is the PCA.
Coaxial digital audio: looks just like a single analog audio cable (one RCA at each end), but rated to handle digital audio signals. Outlaw's PSC can be used as a coaxial digital audio cable.
Optical digital audio: A cable like Outlaw's PDO (which at $20 for a very well made 1.8-meter cable is probably the best optical cable buy I've seen).

VIDEO:
You will want to use the Denon's component video output. The RCA may also have a component video output, in which case you could get two component cables to go from Denon and RCA to Outlaw plus a third component cable from Outlaw to Toshiba. That way, the 950's video switching would allow you to not have to think about what input to set the TV to. Add an s-video cable from the 950's monitor output to the Toshiba if you want to be able to use the 950's onscreen display to set it up. If the RCA does not have component video outputs, you will want to use the S-video output from the RCA. In that case, I would connect the Denon's component video directly to the Toshiba (the only component video cable you'd need), connect the RCA's s-video output to the 950, and connect the 950's monitor s-video output to the Toshiba.

Component video: three separate video cables (either bundled together or completely separate) that combine to provide a single video signal. Outlaw sells three-packs of PSC cables for this application.
S-video: Something like Outlaw's PSSV.

SPEAKERS:
The BP2000's are your subwoofer, I assume. In that case, I'd probably connect all of the speakers normally and use a splitter to route the 950's subwoofer output to both BP2000's built-in amps.

If any (or a lot) of this doesn't make much sense, this link may help some -- it's a visual aid for what the different plugs and cables look like.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#23201 - 02/11/04 04:07 PM Re: Recommendations for wiring
Philip Martin Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Houston, TX
Please forgive my ignorance Gonk! Thank you for the information. I'm learning more and more daily. Could you better describe the splitter to be used for my BP2000? What do I need?

#23202 - 02/11/04 04:12 PM Re: Recommendations for wiring
Bytor Offline
Gunslinger

Philip,
This is exactly what my post on DIY Y-connectors is about. I have Paradigm P70's which also have built-in subs. The Y-connector will allow you to split the single LFE out on the 950 into two equal inputs for your subs. There are several pre-made y-connectors avaialble, including one made by Outlaw, but I'm looking at making my own and am currently seeking help (via this forum) on the best design for this.

#23203 - 02/11/04 04:27 PM Re: Recommendations for wiring
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
While I can't help with Bytor's DIY Y, I can at least link to a couple examples: the Outlaw PCA Y-adapter (which is ideally suited to your application -- connect it to the output and connect two standard analog audio cables from it to the BP2000's) or a couple examples from Radio Shack (neither of which has the same arrangement of connectors that would allow you to use them without some additional tinkering around).

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts