Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#23144 - 12/19/03 03:19 PM directional cables
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
i was talking to a buddy of mine about directional cables and i was wondering if any of you guys had a link that talked about them and the difference b/n a "directional" cable and a normal one. or if any of you are positive about this topic, your insight could help as well. thanks

#23145 - 12/19/03 03:31 PM Re: directional cables
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

I think the difference between directional and non-directional cables is that one has arrows printed on its jacket and the other ... sounds the same.

Jeff Mackwood

#23146 - 12/19/03 03:57 PM Re: directional cables
charlie Offline
Desperado

Other than possible shielding concerns which isn't REALLY directional, but which makes the arrows useful, it's crap.

If the shield is only attached at one end, a good practice generally speaking, then there might be a preference as to which unit got the drain wire.

#23147 - 12/19/03 04:41 PM Re: directional cables
tekdredger Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Franklin, WI
I've always had the impression that the concept of "direction" in cables has it's roots in solid engineering principles. That principle being an overall shield connected to the ground terminal at only one end of the cable. There are a couple different schools of thought on where the grounded terminal should be connected, at the signal source (where the signal is weakest), closest to earth ground, or whatever sounds best. Anyway, I think what has happened is that when the cable manufacturers started putting arrows on the cables (to indicate which end the shield was connected to) it just added fuel to the whole debate about cable manufacturers being Voodoo vendors. I mean think about it, that a signal would "flow" better in one direction than another just sounds absurd. But knowing what I just said about the shield being grounded at only one end it kinda makes sense doesn't it.

------------------
Tekdredger

#23148 - 12/19/03 05:23 PM Re: directional cables
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
It's done because the outer shield is only connected at one end. Which end this goes to is up to the opinion of the manufacturer.

#23149 - 12/19/03 06:41 PM Re: directional cables
charlie Offline
Desperado

I think where it gets confused is sales and marketing. The principles are well known and practice long ago perfected, like most other things in this realm. But marketing can be almost limitlessly clueless and at the same time almost limitlessly creative - not a great combination.

#23150 - 12/19/03 08:45 PM Re: directional cables
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
ok that was our consensus too.

#23151 - 12/19/03 10:45 PM Re: directional cables
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
I am a little confused now. While I understood that the cables with arrows on them typically only had shielding connected on one side, I thought the arrow pointed in the direction of the desired signal flow.

This implied that the grounding should occur at the side of the cable the signal originated at. Am I misundertanding this or have I just bought into the snake oil?
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#23152 - 12/20/03 01:32 AM Re: directional cables
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

And if you buy into the theory that the grounded end must be at the (origin / destination - choose one), then I suppose that you will end up with some cables with jackets connceting to a particular component and some not - in the case of components that both "send" and "receive" a signal (receivers / pre-amps, recording devices of all types etc.) Now tell me that I'm going to hear a difference. And if I do, why not just swap the cables around until it sounds better. So what was the real purpose behind the arrows? Seems like leaving them off gives me an equal chance of plugging them in in a manner that yields the best sound - again assuming that it does make a difference. Which is why I said that they "sound the same".

Jeff Mackwood

#23153 - 12/20/03 08:44 AM Re: directional cables
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Is this about audio and video cables? For audio, are you referencing both balanced and unbalanced connections? For unbalanced connections, are you thinking of a single conductor inside a shield or twisted pair inside a shield, the shield common with one of the inner conductors only at one end? Directional cables may be a new concept for people and this additional information may aid in understanding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
1 registered (Outlaw Ben), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts