Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#22983 - 03/01/03 01:05 PM Hook it up time
PanicMan Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Chino, CA USA
OK, I've just spent the last 3 month's focused on what to buy for HT, now I need to find out what I need to hook it all up.

I'm totally confused with pca,psc,pdo,s-vid, etc....Time to learn some new stuff!!

Equip on order
950/7100 with connects
Onix Rockets
GW50XBR800
sorry honey!!

#22984 - 03/01/03 02:37 PM Re: Hook it up time
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Should be a really nice system, Would like to hear the Rockets myself.
I have the
950/770
Vienna A. Beethoven’s (L/R) and VA Maestro(C), Definitive Tech surrounds
GW60XBR800.

How do you want to hook it up? Do you want to route video through the 950? Go straight to the display?
Do you have a DVD/CD player, satellite etc in the mix and what are their connective options?

PCA’s are for your analog audio (digital only in a temp emergency if your SLL.
PSC’s are for component video hookups and Digital coxial audio.
PDO for a ‘toslink’ optical digital audio connection. Which of these (and how many) will depend on your ancillary units and their connective options.
I highly recommend the Outlaw interconnects, great product, I’ve been using Outlaws PDO and PCA’s for a while, love them. Just received my first set of PSC’s but have not demoed them yet.
I assume you have DVI on that GW. Do you have a Satellite Box with DVI? Etc..
(edited after speaking with Outlaws resident dog, and we all know dogs really are rather more intelligent, - than their masters )

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited March 01, 2003).]

#22985 - 03/01/03 02:54 PM Re: Hook it up time
charlie Offline
Desperado

Actually I think:

PCAs - Analog audio
PSCs - Digital audio coax or video
PDO - Toslink

PCAs would probably work for digital coax as the signal IS pretty robust, but there should be a slight impedence mismatch.

I could be wrong - anyone care to confirm / deny?

#22986 - 03/01/03 03:08 PM Re: Hook it up time
Desperado

Just used an Outlaw PCA on a digital coaxial out from a DVD player to Digital coaxial on our secondary Outlaw 950/750 system the other night. It works, - now whether its optimum or not,…I should find out, for future reference.
It was a temp connection till I get my “bag of assoc. interconnects and doodads” back from my in-laws where I left it. In the bag I had my second PDO cable which I now need. Sent to my husband (so kindly) by Outlaw Customer Service dept: - as our Dual purpose interconnect, (waiting patiently to be ripped out of the system if I ever require an emergency tourniquet!).

What I’d like to know, and have never seen confirmed/ ruled out, is can you use the PSC’s as your analog coaxial? Could this be a conceivable improvement or degradation for analog? Since I just got a set in, I guess I can play with them and see.

#22987 - 03/01/03 03:52 PM Re: Hook it up time
Iggy The Dog Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Dog House
SLL & Charlie:

Let's simply put it that my master is so much of a 'phile that he uses a 3.5 metre PSC as my leash on occasion! With that in mind, the fact that the PSCs are 75 ohm cables in a coax construction makes them perfect for consumer digital audio (S-P/DIF) interconnects. The cables used in "pro" audio AES/EBU type systems are 110 ohms, but for connections between DVD players, CD players, set-tops and or similar and your processor, the PSC should be a very good choice. The twisted-pair type construction of PCA, as opposed to the the coax construction of the PSC makes them a bit of a mis-match for digital audio -- they were obviously designed specifically for line-level audio.

Perhaps my fellow 'hound can help further.

But what do I know, I'm only a dog.

ARF ARF says Iggy

ARF, ARF says Iggy

#22988 - 03/01/03 04:52 PM Re: Hook it up time
Desperado

"But what do I know, I’m only a dog."

But what do I know, I’m only a girl but (at least) an imminently trainable one.

#22989 - 03/01/03 07:15 PM Re: Hook it up time
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by Smart Little Lena:

But what do I know, I’m only a girl but (at least) an imminently trainable one. [/B]

I wish more girls were "trainable"!

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

#22990 - 03/01/03 08:43 PM Re: Hook it up time
Iggy The Dog Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Dog House
SLL:

Unfortunately, rumour has it that I'm somewhat less than trainable. But hey, to paraphrase that great sage and scholar, Tommy Pickles, "A dog's gotta do (or is that doo-doo) what a dog's gotta do."

But what do I know, I'm only a dog!

ARF ARF, says Iggy!

ARF, ARF says Iggy

#22991 - 03/02/03 01:16 PM Re: Hook it up time
Bridge Guy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, WV
Quote:
Originally posted by Smart Little Lena:
Just used an Outlaw PCA on a digital coaxial out from a DVD player to Digital coaxial on our secondary Outlaw 950/750 system the other night. It works, - now whether its optimum or not,…I should find out, for future reference.
It was a temp connection till I get my “bag of assoc. interconnects and doodads” back from my in-laws where I left it. In the bag I had my second PDO cable which I now need. Sent to my husband (so kindly) by Outlaw Customer Service dept: - as our Dual purpose interconnect, (waiting patiently to be ripped out of the system if I ever require an emergency tourniquet!).

What I’d like to know, and have never seen confirmed/ ruled out, is can you use the PSC’s as your analog coaxial? Could this be a conceivable improvement or degradation for analog? Since I just got a set in, I guess I can play with them and see.

It seems PCA's are not recommended for digital, but the PSC for analog issue is unresolved. Anyone have a feel for it?

I've been waiting for .5m PCA's for some time. Still not available and clearly no time line for their restocking. Hence my interest in PSC. (I have enough wires at minimal lengths, slack I don't need.)

#22992 - 03/03/03 11:38 PM Re: Hook it up time
PanicMan Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Chino, CA USA
Thanks for the input on cables...

Received the 950 today, 7100 to follow Wed and the speakers are due on Thur +/-.

Options for DVD play

Audio: which one is the best?
Analog
Coax dig ?
Optical dig ??

Video:best one?
Composite
S- vid
Component ??

Just barely starting.......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 104 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM