Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#23640 - 09/22/06 06:39 PM 990 Video Hook Ups Pb,CB,PR,CR...
Roudeone Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Michigan
Just got a 990/7125 Combo and I'm in the process of hooking the 990 to an older Toshiba Rear Projection . The Inputs on the back show CB Cr and Y can I still use the component MON OUT on the back of the 990 (PB PR Y). Any input would be apreciated.

Thanks

#23641 - 09/23/06 11:10 AM Re: 990 Video Hook Ups Pb,CB,PR,CR...
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
While the labeling conventions would be that Cb would correspond to Pb, Cr to Pr, and Y to Y, the labeling on the component connections of the receiver/processor could be A-B-C or X-Y-Z or 1-2-3 or just about anything as long as the luminance (Y), red differential (Pr, Cr) and blue differential (Pb, Cb) information from your playback devices consistently end up at the luminance, red differential and blue differential inputs on your projector.

This jogs my memory regarding a trick I used a few times in the past to allow on-screen-menu information normally available only on the composite video output to be visible in black & white on a component display, that is if the composite connections on the receiver/processor are otherwise totally unused. Try running your Cr and Cb information as normal, but run your Y signal through the composite connectors instead of running the Y signal through the Y connectors.

#23642 - 09/23/06 05:21 PM Re: 990 Video Hook Ups Pb,CB,PR,CR...
Roudeone Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the Info. best, I hooked the Component MON OUT from the Pre/Pro to The TV Component Input (Video 2). I also ran an S-Video from the Pre/Pro out to the TV Video 1 Input. The menu displays black and white I'm assuming this is normal I calibrated the Auto Calibrated the speakers and WOW what clean sound, The menu was idiot proof and documentation very easy to understand, still I can see myself playing around a lot with the different settings as I grow into this new toy.
I'm now trying to figure out the DVD player which i'm going to also use for Audio Cd's. Both the TV aand DVD are toshiba brand and Im hooked to the Pre/Pro by the Component cables input to the Pre/Pro DVD Component IN, The Audio froom the DVD is hooked up to the Optical 1 On the 990. however I'm unsure if I should set the DVD Audio Output to Bitstream or PCM, Im guessing I'd want to use the PCM as it outputs Digital? If this is correct and I leave the defaults set on the 990 to use Optical 1 and the Component DVD for for DVD Playback, with this set-up I'm guessing that I'll choose DVD on the 990 to also play any Music Cd's I want to play.

#23643 - 09/24/06 12:52 AM Re: 990 Video Hook Ups Pb,CB,PR,CR...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
You want bitstream for the DVD player's audio output - PCM will cause it to downmix Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtracks to stereo and will leave DTS totally absent. The PCM signals from CD's would still pass as PCM.

If you like to listen to CD's in stereo mode, I'll recommend a trick that I've been using for years now. Configure the DVD input with the component video input and the optical1 digital input, but then also configure the CD input with the optical1 digital input. This way, you can teach the 990's CD input to always apply stereo to the PCM signals (or upsample, which I recommend) while the DVD input applies surround processing.

#23644 - 09/25/06 04:57 PM Re: 990 Video Hook Ups Pb,CB,PR,CR...
Roudeone Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks Gonk I did guess right on the Bitstream the CD trick is great It makes it kinda idiot proof for the rest the users in the house.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 164 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts