Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#23390 - 07/01/04 02:36 AM Anything special about a "Sub" Interconnect
jprichar Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Folsom, CA, USA
Most cable vendors (monster/ixos/outlaw etc) offer a interconnect for subwoofers. Is there any difference between these sub interconnects and a regular analog interconnect aside from them being a single cable and long? Will a standard analog interconnect work okay between a sub output of a 1050/950 and a powered sub?

#23391 - 07/01/04 08:12 AM Re: Anything special about a "Sub" Interconnect
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
A standard analog audio interconnect will work fine for a subwoofer -- it is the same type connection as the connection from a pre-amp to an amp (or from a source to a pre-amp or receiver, for that matter). The only difference in these sub cables is, as you say, length and packaging. Outlaw, for example, has their PCA analog audio cable which sells in pairs at 0.5 meter, 1.2 meter, and 1.8 meter lengths but also sells in single cables at longer lengths of 5 meter and 10 meter specifically for subs.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#23392 - 07/01/04 08:15 AM Re: Anything special about a "Sub" Interconnect
musiciseverything Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Missouri
IMO, the sub interconnect is the same as all others. There are those who disagree, and some of them are the manufacturers of expensive cables. As an example, Hsu Research recommends rather plain RCA interconnects to their subs and this allows you to spend more money on what counts-the speaker itself. I agree with them, as long as it is well shielded from interference, electrically and physically, if possible. This has been a contentious point of argument in the past, and hopefully, not this time! I own both DH Labs sub interconnects, and Silver Serpents, and I can't tell the difference... Good luck and let us know what you decide.

[This message has been edited by musiciseverything (edited July 01, 2004).]

#23393 - 07/01/04 12:27 PM Re: Anything special about a "Sub" Interconnect
rance Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boston. MA
One thing to consider is if you move your sub around much in search of that 'perfect' location (like some nut at my house ) and so have the cable laying across the floor, its nice to have a locking cable such as Outlaw's.

#23394 - 07/02/04 12:22 AM Re: Anything special about a "Sub" Interconnect
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
make sure you get one that is long enough to allow movement of your sub! my subs all have un-sensitive (for my tastes at least) auto turn-on circuitry so i employ a y-connector to connect l,r analogs for quicker turn-on. if you can do xlr, then obviously it would be preferred... i wouldnt use any kind of exotic material for your subwoofer ic, just good old high purity copper.

------------------
This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts