Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#23395 - 07/01/04 02:55 AM bananas? spades? or bare speaker wire?
jprichar Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Folsom, CA, USA
Is this all personal pref or is one better than the other? All my speakers support bananas. I'll be using this on a 1050 now and maybe a 950 in the future. What would you guys recommend for connectors?

#23396 - 07/01/04 08:10 AM Re: bananas? spades? or bare speaker wire?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Banana plugs are convenient. Spades and bare wire offer a little tighter contact between wire and binding post. Personally, I use spade connectors on my front three speakers (partly because I have them biwired and I can get two spades onto a single amp binding post), bananas at the amp for surrounds, and bare wire at the surrounds due to space limitations (no room for a banana plug with the wall mounts).

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#23397 - 07/02/04 12:18 AM Re: bananas? spades? or bare speaker wire?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
i prefer crimp on bananas. reasons why: no oxidation, easy to connect/disconnect, more contact area than spades and easier to fit into tight amp jacks, etc. crimp because if you crimp that baby hard enough youll get the best bond you could ever expect. the disadvantage to bananas is that over repeated insertion they can lose some of their springyness which in turns makes them a looser fit. however you can fix that by getting a kind with a slit down the length of the banana so that you can spread them wider when the time comes (if the time comes). audioquest makes some bananas (called bfa crimp) like i speak of, nordost does (called z plug), and im sure someone else does or you can make some if you feel impelled to. id pick them of the material that your wire is made of, i.e. if your wire is silver then get silver plugs, gold/gold, etc.

------------------
This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 109 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM