Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#23124 - 12/10/03 01:44 PM DIY 75Ohm Cables for Video
phatlac Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: lake mary, fl, USA
I have been patiently awaiting the release and availability of the Denon 5900 DVD player. The back of the player has a set of bnc connections for the component video(set of RCAs, too). There is a statement about 'less noise' using this connection which got me to thinking.

1. Can I improve my picture by constructing my own RGB cables using a 75 Ohm cable or will the DVI still provide the best possible picture?(Using a Samsung 931 via DVI until the Denon arrives)
2. At what distance should I consider using 75 Ohm cables vs. a custom made DVI cable?

I have not dabled in cable arena too much as of yet - outside of of buying Tributaries best cables for interconnects. However, I have a lot of cables going out of my cabinet - power, speaker, video signal, 2-sat disk and 1-OTA and I am wondering about noise and EMI.

I think my video is solid with the Samsung, but I am positive the Denon will be a major upgrade, but I can't help wondering if I could improve the signal by moving to 75 Ohm custome cables for RGB, or should I just stick with the DVI and do some physical separating of my cable runs in the cabinet?

Thanx all in advance for the help.

phatlac

#23125 - 12/10/03 02:24 PM Re: DIY 75Ohm Cables for Video
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
first thing you could do is try a set of made or purchased component videos on the samsung. granted its not bnc, but you can compare dvi vs component. i have read a bit about dvi and while it is all digital the main reason why they are pushing it, is not because it is better, but because it has copy-protection. does that denon have hdmi? the new pioneer elite does... hdmi is copy-protected too, but it is smaller than dvi and seemingly better. there is an article by soundhound about diy cables, everyone seems to like his method.

#23126 - 12/10/03 07:16 PM Re: DIY 75Ohm Cables for Video
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Quote:
Originally posted by curegeorg:
first thing you could do is try a set of made or purchased component videos on the samsung. granted its not bnc, but you can compare dvi vs component. i have read a bit about dvi and while it is all digital the main reason why they are pushing it, is not because it is better, but because it has copy-protection.

Umm...digital is better in this case. Your putting another conversion step into the process by using the component outputs into a digital capable TV. Every single review I've read about a DVI equiped player states that the DVI output improves picture quality over the component outputs. I would love to see where you got your facts from on this one. Please do post the link.

You will get less noise with a BNC connection as opposed to a RCA connection because the BNC connection is a much more secure connection. That's why BNC is used in professional installations.

I would stick with the DVI input. The physical seperation of your cables can't hurt also.

Sorry if I'm not technical enough with my information. I'm sure there are some engineers around here who could provide more technical advantages of DVI over Component and also BNC over RCA connectors.

Good luck!

#23127 - 12/10/03 09:35 PM Re: DIY 75Ohm Cables for Video
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

ok so i looked for that article i was reading and couldnt remember where i saw it. why not think about an hdmi dvd player? his question was should he use dvi or bnc, component is relative to bnc so that would be a decent reference!

#23128 - 12/10/03 10:29 PM Re: DIY 75Ohm Cables for Video
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
My understanding is that DVI will likely win out no matter how good a set of component cables you make. Given the option, I'd probably go DVI for any length. Whatever you use, I definitely recommend a bit of cable management -- particularly separating power cables from speaker cables from interconnects and video cables.

Quote:
You will get less noise with a BNC connection as opposed to a RCA connection because the BNC connection is a much more secure connection. That's why BNC is used in professional installations.

That's also been my understanding. RCA's very mainstream, but BNC offers a very reliable mechanical lock/tension to the connection (sort of like using spades or bare wire with bindings posts versus the little spring clip speaker connectors).

DVI does include copy protection, if it is HDCP compliant DVI interface (which the 5900's DVI output is supposed to be). HDCP DVI appears to be becoming something of a standard from what little I've seen lately. HDMI is similar to DVI, but doesn't seem to have been very widely adopted at this point compared to DVI.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#23129 - 12/11/03 11:44 AM Re: DIY 75Ohm Cables for Video
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

the advantage over hdmi from what ive read is that it is smaller connection and is audio/video in one cable unlike MOST dvi cables which are not. granted some dvi types support audio too... it seems like they are pushing towards a one cable audio/video all digital connection and who can blame them...

#23130 - 12/11/03 01:26 PM Re: DIY 75Ohm Cables for Video
RayBan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Lawn
I would stick with the DVI because it keeps the signal digital throughout the entire path. with no questions arising as to degredation from signal conversions...

#23131 - 12/11/03 08:29 PM Re: DIY 75Ohm Cables for Video
phatlac Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: lake mary, fl, USA
Thanx for the info. Looks like I will be staying with the DVI connection.

I also have a Samsung DirectTV/HDTV set top that has DVI out. I recently located this nifty little device : http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1819
that will allow two DVI sources to be connected and switched to one DVI target. Life just keeps getting better and better!

Phatlac.

#23132 - 12/12/03 09:13 AM Re: DIY 75Ohm Cables for Video
Paratrooper Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Conyers,GA,USA
Has anyone used RG59/RG6 with F connectors and F to RCA adapters, for interconnect cables? Easier than soldering RCA plugs, but maybe not as good?

#23133 - 12/13/03 09:46 PM Re: DIY 75Ohm Cables for Video
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

seems like a hassle to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
1 registered (Outlaw Ben), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts