Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#22996 - 03/07/03 02:16 PM AudioReview
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Sometimes AudioReview is fairly prompt on adding new equipment (like the 7100 and 200). Other times, they take a little longer. They have now added the PDO , PCE , and PSC cables.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#22997 - 03/11/03 11:00 PM Re: AudioReview
TauRus Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Gonk, I read your review of the PCAs and it made me even more confident that I made the right choice and am going to purchase a set of the same cables. Just one comment: going from bigger connectors to slimmer ones is not necessarily a good thing since typically those that have bigger diameter have better chances of being a "true" 75 Ohm connector compared to many slimmer types that in reality only boast 35 to 50 Ohm impedance. I was actually a bit dissappointed by this change. So, those connectors on the photo (on this site in the products area) are the older original ones or the newer "slim" version?

[This message has been edited by TauRus (edited March 12, 2003).]

#22998 - 03/12/03 07:40 AM Re: AudioReview
gonk Offline
Desperado

From what I can tell, the change is only the to the locking barrel, not the actual signal path itself, so there shouldn't be any change aside from the better clearances. The photos are from the original release of the PCA's (the old ones), but without an old and a new side by side (or the opportunity to plug a few of them in next to each other) I'd be hard pressed to tell the two apart.

------------------

#22999 - 03/12/03 03:40 PM Re: AudioReview
Iggy The Dog Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Dog House
Gonk:

From the looks of things, the barrel diameter was only changed on the PCA, not the PSC. The former has the locking type connectors, but are not 75 ohm or intended for video while the latter ARE 75 ohm and intended for video. However, the PSC connector appears not to have changed and thus should remain a real 75 ohm connection. Have you seen anything to the contrary that my master may have missed?

But what do I know, I'm only a dog.

ARF ARF, says Iggy

ARF, ARF says Iggy

#23000 - 03/12/03 04:13 PM Re: AudioReview
gonk Offline
Desperado

Good point, Iggy. I was only addressing the PCA's, and should have thought about the fact that the 75 ohm rating applies to digital audio and composite/component video applications -- which would of course be the PSC. The PSC's do not have the locking RCA's of the PCA's.

------------------

#23001 - 03/12/03 08:48 PM Re: AudioReview
TauRus Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Gonk, Iggy, thanks for your comments. I am far from sure I understand anything related to this mysterious "cable" science. So you indeed believe that it is not critical for analog interconnnects to have 75Ohm Impedance? Also, does anyone know if there are stricter requirements to audio interconnects in case they link analog DVD-A/SACD outputs on a DVD player with the 5.1 inputs on the receiver? I mean, these signals are supposed to be more "hi-rez" than normal analog outputs. So, would any decent interconnect serve just fine in this application, or I should be looking for more "upgraded" cables? After reading so many articles on the net I realized I am completely confused by all these contradictory theories :-)

#23002 - 03/13/03 12:54 PM Re: AudioReview
Joshorr Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boston, MA
I'm not expert here but I think when they say "Hi-Rez" signal it refers to the data stream for the disk rather than the output of the individual channels after the DAC (digital to analog converter). After all it is supplying data for up to 6 channels. Once the signal is being output from the DVD-A/SACD player, it the same type of signal as the L/R channels of a cd player and the use of any quality analog interconnect such as the Outlaw PCA would be fine. Now what you or the people whose posts you read have to say on what is "quality" is up in the air but it is a good bet that Outlaw cables should fit the bill. I have a set between my receiver and my amp and I couldn't be happier. In my economic mind the Outlaw quality and price point moves you nicely down the path of diminishing return without breaking te bank.

[This message has been edited by Joshorr (edited March 13, 2003).]

#23003 - 03/13/03 02:10 PM Re: AudioReview
gonk Offline
Desperado

Josh's answer matches mine very well. The higher resolution of DVD-A and SACD relates to the manner in which the data is stored. Once it becomes analog data, it is no different than analog data from any other source.

------------------

Who's Online
0 registered (), 130 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM