Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#22439 - 04/08/03 01:32 AM Outboard 5 ch Amp, ICBM, DVD Audio Player, 5 ch Preamp ...
2x6spds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Newport Beach, CA, USA
Hello friends

All these cables cause me to bump up against the edge of my intelligence.

Here's the question - I'm using an Onkyo 797 as a preamp/processor, an outboard 5 channel amplifier, an Outlaw ICBM-1, and a Toshiba DVD Audio player with Front (LR), Surround (LR) and Center channel outputs.

I want to stack them vertically. What would you say is the best way to hook these fellas together? Sure is a bunch of cables, eh?

#22440 - 04/09/03 02:37 AM Re: Outboard 5 ch Amp, ICBM, DVD Audio Player, 5 ch Preamp ...
2x6spds Offline
Gunslinger

OK, here's what I'm planning to do. If anyone sees a better way to do this, please don't be shy, let me know!

First of all, an outboard multichannel amp, an ICBM and a DVD Audio (or SACD) player means a BOAT LOAD of inteconnects.

From bottom to top:

Kenwood KA9100 amp to Outlaw ICBM-1 - 2 interconnects into Y adaptor

Anthem 5 channel amp to Outlaw ICBM-1 - 5 interconnects

Outlaw ICBM-1 to Onkyo 797 - 5 interconnects, 2 Y adaptors into 4 ICs

Onkyo 797 to Toshiba SD9200 DVD Audio Player - 5 Interconnects.

That's 21 Inteconnects!!!

I haven't hooked the Anthem PVA-5 into the system yet, so the number of ICs is based on doodling and reading the manuals.

The number of ICs I need bumps up hard against my frugal nature, so I checked out the AR interconnects, but my local Best Buy doesn't carry them in 3' lengths. I thought about the Fusion series of ICs from Radio Shack, but these are $25 a pair. I ended up buying a boat load of Tara Labs Prism 300i's from AudioVideoMan (found him on ebay) 15 pair for $200. I'll have some ICs left over toward another system.

I have some of the beautiful pearly Outlaw interconnects, but don't like the locking connectors - they're too tight and I'm afraid they'll pull the guts out of my components.

#22441 - 04/09/03 08:10 AM Re: Outboard 5 ch Amp, ICBM, DVD Audio Player, 5 ch Preamp ...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
Originally posted by 2x6spds:
From bottom to top:

So this amp is for surround back speakers, presumably (split from the one center surround output and going to both channels of the amp). That is fine.

Quote:

Left, right, center, and both surrounds from ICBM to amp. Again, all is well. You've also got a cable from the ICBM to your sub (or two of them, if you are running two subs).

Quote:

I'm a little unsure of this step. There should be seven interconnects: left, right, center, left surround, right surround, surround back, and subwoofer. The Y-adapters should not be needed. You do not want to combine two surround back channels to one input; to connect the surround back channel(s) through the ICBM, you probably want to configure the Onkyo to think that it has only one surround back speaker and connect that single pre-amp output (probably the left, but you'll want to check the manual to be sure).

Quote:

Don't forget the sub -- that'd make six interconnects. Also, you will want a digital audio cable between the Toshiba and the Onkyo.

Quote:

Revised count is 20 analog interconnects, one digital audio cable, and one Y-adapter.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#22442 - 04/12/03 11:00 PM Re: Outboard 5 ch Amp, ICBM, DVD Audio Player, 5 ch Preamp ...
2x6spds Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk wrote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by 2x6spds:
From bottom to top:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this amp is for surround back speakers, presumably (split from the one center surround output and going to both channels of the amp). That is fine.

quote:

Left, right, center, and both surrounds from ICBM to amp. Again, all is well. You've also got a cable from the ICBM to your sub (or two of them, if you are running two subs).

quote:

I'm a little unsure of this step. There should be seven interconnects: left, right, center, left surround, right surround, surround back, and subwoofer. The Y-adapters should not be needed. You do not want to combine two surround back channels to one input; to connect the surround back channel(s) through the ICBM, you probably want to configure the Onkyo to think that it has only one surround back speaker and connect that single pre-amp output (probably the left, but you'll want to check the manual to be sure).

quote:

Don't forget the sub -- that'd make six interconnects. Also, you will want a digital audio cable between the Toshiba and the Onkyo.

quote:

Revised count is 20 analog interconnects, one digital audio cable, and one Y-adapter
=======================================

Thanks Gonk!

Glad to hear from one of the Outlaw wise men. I have about a week before the cables arrive so I can generate a few more headaches trying to figure out the best way to do this.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 197 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts