Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#22357 - 12/10/02 02:56 PM ICBM Updates?
Dave Duvall Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Any chance of a "revised" ICBM coming out? I wouldn't mind having seperate outputs for two rear center surround speakers. Sometimes I like to tell the Reference 30 to put the discreet surround info in the rear instead of the side speakers, depending on the material, and it'd be nice not sending a mono signal with splitter to my rear surround amp.

Wonder what other tricks might be considered for the ICBM? I'd buy it all over again if features were added of some nature.

See ya. Dave

#22358 - 12/19/02 11:46 AM Re: ICBM Updates?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
I'd love to see: full 7 channel I/O, and two sets of inputs with a front panel switch & a trigger. Might have to get taller to accomodate 25 or so RCA jacks, but the innards would most likely not be complicated much at all.

Another nicety: a bypass switch, that makes it pass-through without losing the settings you've got dialed in.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#22359 - 12/19/02 04:09 PM Re: ICBM Updates?
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Perhaps this is slightly off topic, but what I bet is that those folks, who are using the ICBM because their DVD-Audio / SACD players / receivers etc. lack proper bass management, want is a box that has multiple sets (two or more) of 5.1 analogue inputs and digital outputs that could be connected just like any other type of component. Of course what we, the consumer, really want is for this nonsense of having analogue outputs in the first place, go away - and equip DVD-audio and SACD players with the ability to output all of their signals in the digital domain. We're seeing proprietary digital connections appearing on high end models from the likes of Denon, but would it not be nice if a $400 (or less) player could not just plug right into your existing digital inputs?

Me, I use my ICBM because it provides more extensive base management in its analogue domain, than my existing pre/pro/tuner does in the digital domain. That might soon change if I add a model 950 to my set-up. But even then, two center rear channels on an ICBM would be great in order to overcome that one limitation of the 950. Then again, changing the 950 to allow for separate bass management of its side and rear center surrounds would be just as appreciated.

Jeff Mackwood

#22360 - 12/20/02 05:44 PM Re: ICBM Updates?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Good point; perhaps Outlaw is avoiding any serious R&D costs on the ICBM because of the current cloudiness of the digital issue, and whether or not they'd be able to recoup their investment before the device becomes unnecessary.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#22361 - 01/29/03 03:17 PM Re: ICBM Updates?
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
I know this topic is a over a month old, but it gets into what's been on my mind lately.

I would love to see Outlaw update the ICBM by adding most importantly at least 3 sets of inputs, and a switch on the subwoofer input that allows for that signal to go unprocessed for those remote occassions when you're using a recording that features the "height" channel. I guess that would mean some sort of subwoofer bypass yet still be able to crossover the signal for the other channels.

Of less importance but still nice would be seperate output for two center surround speakers to keep up with current formats.

I think there is a market for this type of product judging by just the other posts on this board. More and more people are buying either a DVD-A player or a SACD player and then deciding to add whatever they missed later. A third input would also allow for yet another input into the direct inputs of a reciever, allowing for either a phono preamp, a better cd player, or something along those lines.

Ahh...needed to get that off my chest

[This message has been edited by Jason J (edited January 29, 2003).]

#22362 - 02/16/03 07:29 AM Re: ICBM Updates?
Mike Sloan Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: USA
The ICBM needs a phase switch on the subwoofer channel! There is a 180 deg. phase shift between the ICBM analog bass management and the digital bass management on most A/V receivers. If I adjust the sub to be in phase with the mains when using the digital crossover on my Denon 4802, and then switch to the ICBM analog crossover for the 5.1 inputs, the sub is now approx 180 deg out of phase. I have to switch the phase on my subs when switching between CD/DVD-V and SACD/DVD-A. This is a bigggg problem! I am still in my 30 day window and I need a fix for this or it will be going back!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 144 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts