Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#22656 - 01/24/05 07:58 AM Question about ICBM
TSC-17 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Columbus, OH
I am considering purchasing an ICBM to address the lack of bass (management) in SACD and DVD-A formats, but have a few questions. I am not running separates, or a receiver with pre-out/main-in capabilities.

1. The instructions say to set the sub crossover to it's highest level (150 on mine). If I do this to work on SACD and DVD-A formats, then I am going to have to manually change it every time I want to watch/listen to DTS and DD formats...the best setting for those are between 70 and 80 as everything is currently configured. Any thoughts/comments/suggestions on this?

2. Since I cannot use the ICBM to control the output stage of DTS/DD of my receiver, can I run those formats through the analog outs of my uni-player, then through the ICBM and it still remain in DTS?

Thanks in advance for the advice...
Outlaw Audio ICBM
Mirage OM-9 mains
Phase Technology PC-3 center
Phase Technology PC-Surround
Paradigm PW2200 sub

#22657 - 01/24/05 08:46 AM Re: Question about ICBM
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I think your second question is going in the right direction. If your main reason for getting an ICBM is SACD and DVD-Audio (the formats that the ICBM was developed for), you could simply locate the ICBM between your universal player's six channel analog output and your receiver. Once you've done that, set the player's speaker settings to "large" and sub to "on". This way, Dolby Digital and DTS will be processed by the receiver and the receiver's bass management (with a fixed 80Hz crossover), while the ICBM handles bass management for high resolution audio.

The comment about the subwoofer crossover setting applies also to using the bass management in your receiver with Dolby Digital and DTS - in fact, it could also be effective to disable the crossover in your subwoofer. The idea is to handle all bass management at one point (the ICBM or the receiver), not performing bass management multiple times.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 128 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts