Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#22623 - 10/23/04 05:38 AM My unit is dead!...
elcid Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Redlands, Ca.
Hi,

I have an ICBM-1 unit that I used to replace a Merchand electronic crossover (superb product!) that died during a severe electrical disturbance (a huge chunk of the Western states power grid took a dump for reason best left unsaid) several months ago.
Well, won't you know it...but no sooner than I connected the ICBM-1 between a Lexi pre/pro and all driving amps (main L&R, center, L&R surrounds, and several subwoofers) that it too died during yet another huge electrical disturbance of similar characteristics as the first one that killed my electronic crossover. Rats! eek

Does anyone have any ideas that might like to suggest as a cure for what ails my ICMB-1? Thanks in advance!... smile

-THTS

#22624 - 10/23/04 11:33 AM Re: My unit is dead!...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'll assume that it is just not coming on anymore. Have you tried replacing the AC adapter to see if the outage only affected it or if it carried farther upstream to the ICBM itself? Also, have you got any sort of surge protection on the system?

#22625 - 10/23/04 03:01 PM Re: My unit is dead!...
Scott Offline
Desperado

Please see your PM, I sent you instructions on how to replace the internal fuse.

Best,

Scott

#22626 - 10/23/04 06:42 PM Re: My unit is dead!...
elcid Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

gonk,

Thanks for replying.

I'll be trying what Scott suggested I should do first. If that doesn't work then I'll try your suggestion. If that doesn't do it then I'll send the unit for repairs.

You know, I've been living in this house since 1972 and never had a problem with the electrical power system until experiencing the ones that took the two components named above (those electrical disturbance events occurred fairly recently), so I've been remiss in adding surge protection to my audio/video systems...'til now; I'll be remedying that situation real soon, believe me you!...

-THTS

#22627 - 10/23/04 09:46 PM Re: My unit is dead!...
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
elcid,

It's great to see you around these parts. cool

I've read your many great posts on various forums, all informative and very upbeat.

It's also cool that you met the 2 guys who are at the top of the cool list around here (Scott and the mighty Gonk) in your first thread!

Let us know how the ICBM fix possibilities turn out.

#22628 - 10/23/04 11:08 PM Re: My unit is dead!...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Electrical problems can be a real headache, and a real motivator to add surge protection - I added my Panamax after one phase to our old house started dropping out and causing all sorts of weird events. Hopefully Scott's instructions will revive your ICBM and get you back on track!

#22629 - 10/25/04 05:17 AM Re: My unit is dead!...
elcid Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

quote:

elcid,

It's great to see you around these parts. cool

I've read your many great posts on various forums, all informative and very upbeat.

It's also cool that you met the 2 guys who are at the top of the cool list around here (Scott and the mighty Gonk) in your first thread!

Let us know how the ICBM fix possibilities turn out.

Fancy seeing you here too, bossobass! cool

Thank you for the kind and cordial words... smile

Yea...got lucky to have both of those gentlemen quickly reply to my plight for help.

I'll be posting about my ICBM-1 as soon as fixes are implemented...

-THTS

#22630 - 10/25/04 05:25 AM Re: My unit is dead!...
elcid Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
Electrical problems can be a real headache, and a real motivator to add surge protection - I added my Panamax after one phase to our old house started dropping out and causing all sorts of weird events. Hopefully Scott's instructions will revive your ICBM and get you back on track!
I hear 'ya!

By the way...which Panamax did you wind up with? Would you recommend it for most electronic components (except power amps) protection purposes? What about one or two components...like an overhead video projector and such?

As to the ICBM-1...I have the feeling that a quick fuse change is all it will take to get it up and runnig again... smile

-THTS

#22631 - 10/25/04 08:15 AM Re: My unit is dead!...
gonk Offline
Desperado

I've been using the MAX5100 for the entire equipment rack, amps included (it includes some outlets that are intended for use with amps). It's been a pretty good unit. For a system with a front projector, I'd expect to need to provide some separate protection for it.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 159 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts