Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#22513 - 11/26/03 07:42 PM ICBM/SUB Question
Luvthekeys Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Placida, Florida
I have been trying to dial in my Mirage OM200 to a point that I am satisfied with the Bass. My problem unlike many is too much bass and in an effort to tame the excess bass I purchased a ICBM to give me more control of my crossover points among other things.

During my efforts I came across a problem I am not sure I understand. When trying different ways to see how the bass would sound I set the subwoofer to off on the 811. I was surprised to still have sound coming out of the sub even with the sub set to off on the Pioneer. I then set the subwoofer control on the Pioneer to Plus to see if there would be an increase in bass and there was so I know the switch is working. I cannot figure out why with the subwoofer control set to off, sound is still output to the sub. I am most likely missing something simple but i cant figure out what it is. Any ideas!

My setup is I have the ICBM between my Pioneer 811S and a Outlaw 755 Amp. The sub out from the Pioneer goes to the ICBM and then to the Subwoofer through the crossover bypass input on the Sub. I also have a Pioneer Elite 45A Universal Player connected to the analog inputs of the Pioneer 811. All speakers are set to Large as suggested by Outlaw and the crossovers are set Mains-60 Center-80 Rears-100.

Thanks

#22514 - 12/01/03 04:36 PM Re: ICBM/SUB Question
Dart23 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Downers Grove, IL
It sounds like that is just the ICBM doing it's job.
If you set the subwoofer to off on the 811s, the 811s will send any normal subwoofer (LFE) output to the Mains (Front L/R). From there the ICBM is taking anything below your Mains crossover (60) and sending it to the sub. When you hit the sub boost on the 811s, it is boosting it in the mains, which again the ICBM is sending back to the sub.
If this is the case, if you have the sub on off in the 811s, and set the all crossovers to bypass, THEN you should hear nothing in the sub...

#22515 - 12/01/03 04:57 PM Re: ICBM/SUB Question
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I agree with Dart23 -- the sub will get a signal any time there is some material being produced below the crossover points set on the ICBM (60Hz for mains, 80Hz for center, and 100Hz for rears) because the ICBM is just doing as instructed. It shoulds like everything is fine Incidently, the sub should be set to "on" in the Pioneer so that the Pioneer doesn't re-direct the LFE channel to the main speakers; having the speakers set to "large" and the sub to "on" will effectively disable all of the 811's bass management and let the ICBM handle it all.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#22516 - 12/01/03 05:00 PM Re: ICBM/SUB Question
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
Yes to what Dart23 and gonk said!

Paul

------------------
the 1derful1

#22517 - 12/01/03 05:12 PM Re: ICBM/SUB Question
Luvthekeys Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Placida, Florida
Thank You all for your replies. As I suspected it was a fairly simple and logical answer, but I didn't know it.

Now I will wait to add an LFM1 to the mix and hope it and the OM200 can coexist.

Peace, LTK

Who's Online
0 registered (), 77 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts