Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#21982 - 05/10/04 05:21 PM 755 Radio Station Noise
Sickler Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Orange, CA
After hooking up the 755 I notice a faint radio station being played in my speakers if I hold my ear 1-2" away from the tweater. The amp is NOT hooked up to my processore and all the wiring between it and my speakers is BetterCables. When connected to my processor, the volume of the "noise" does not rise and fall with a change in the volume control. Moving the amp out of my cabinet reduces the audibility of the station almost completely. I do not have any FM/AM antenna hooked up to my processor. The satellite feed is nowhere near the amp and it doesn't matter if I plus the amp into a dedicated circuit or through a Monster Theater Power Center. What else should I look for in order to reduce the station noise? It's not critical since I can't hear it from my listening position, but psychologically, it's killing me knowing my system is not "clean".

Thanks

#21983 - 05/10/04 08:29 PM Re: 755 Radio Station Noise
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
you need to shield your cables better or connect them to a filtered power center/strip or read at bottom. just because it is monster or whatever doesnt mean that it has filters on each input that block out extra noise. if the station is fm, it will be harder, if it is am you can make sure your cable is not looped anywhere. i doubt much will help more than moving the amp or somehow shielding it, because more than likely IT IS picking up the signal and not the cabling. but i would check cabling first. try disconnecting everything and reconnecting.
so if i hear you right, with just the amp on and nothing connected to it, you get the station?

#21984 - 05/11/04 10:41 AM Re: 755 Radio Station Noise
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
If merely this arrangement

nothing > 755 > speaker cables > speakers

gives you a mild RF reception and demodulation situation, and to help determine if the 755 is the main culprit even without cables, can you disconnect all cables from the 755 except for one speaker cable that is very, very short (perhaps less than a foot, if you can manage it) connected to a loudspeaker temporarily sitting right behind the amp and listen for the station? Does the station come through all channels if you test the amp one channel at a time with the short speaker cable? Just thought I'd ask.

#21985 - 05/11/04 12:15 PM Re: 755 Radio Station Noise
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

good idea, but not very practical bestbang. it is always good to narrow down the annoyance by eliminating other possible suspects.

#21986 - 05/12/04 07:10 PM Re: 755 Radio Station Noise
Sickler Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Orange, CA
Just to clarify: Only when the amp was ON and NOT connected to anything other than the speaker and wall outlet would I get the station. It is an AM station. I took your suggestions and and made sure there were no "loops" with the wires. What I ended up doing was cutting out the back of my entertainment center to allow more room for the wires. Previsouly, the speaker cables got all bunched up and I assume the "loops" that were created were attracting the AM signal. Now the speaker wires and RCAs have a nice straight path coming and going and the signal has vanished.

#21987 - 05/12/04 09:55 PM Re: 755 Radio Station Noise
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

glad to hear its gone.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM