Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#22157 - 02/12/06 01:44 PM Anyway to Change Button Color?
mick16 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Rochester, MI
I've had this amp for almost 5 years now and it still runs like a champ. I know its now discontinued but does anybody know if there's a way that you can mod this amp to change the color of the button?

I know I'm being anal, but I'd like it to be blue instead of green to match the rest of the blue lights on my component rack.

Thanks in Advance.

#22158 - 02/12/06 03:22 PM Re: Anyway to Change Button Color?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I don't know of any straightforward way to do it. You could always dismantle the unit's face, remove the green plastic button, pull a mold, cast a new button out of blue plastic, and put that one in the green button's place, but that seems pretty drastic.

#22159 - 02/13/06 07:12 AM Re: Anyway to Change Button Color?
mick16 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Rochester, MI
Dang, that's a lot of work! I wish the power button was clear and it was just a green LED light which would have been easy to swap out.

I guess I'll just leave it and not mess with it . Too much work for something that nobody else will notice but me.

Thanks for the feedback though.

#22160 - 02/13/06 08:38 AM Re: Anyway to Change Button Color?
Doug917 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shawnee, KS
I have my pair of 755 amps on a separate rack now that sits behind the same wall I have cut an opening in for my home-made component rack. You can't even see the amps now, giving me more room for components on the rack that is accessible to the HT room. This has worked out well and cut doen on some of the wiring clutter as a good deal of it is off to one side now.

#22161 - 02/14/06 09:36 AM Re: Anyway to Change Button Color?
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
One of my engineers had a bug up his rumpus about the color of the power button light on some rackmount gear at the studio (I forget what it was). His solution was to ask his artist wife which color mixed with the offending color would give him a pleasing blue. After some head scratching and rummaging around an art supply store, they found some transparent tape of the right shade. He cut a piece to fit over the button and I'll be damned if it didn't work.

Granted, I don't think I could muster the energy to "fix" something (at least in my eyes) so trivial, but you might want to try that low tech solution and see if it works. You could always make the button a completely "lights out" affair without a whole lot of fuss.

Cheers,

#22162 - 02/14/06 02:01 PM Re: Anyway to Change Button Color?
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
i was thinkin' the same thing yesterday ritz.but being as it's not lit,it may not work.

if you found the right shade of red it will kill the green which will either turn it blue or brown.

if it really bothers you,paint it black.

#22163 - 02/14/06 02:18 PM Re: Anyway to Change Button Color?
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
There's a joke in here somewhere....I can feel it.

#22164 - 02/14/06 03:58 PM Re: Anyway to Change Button Color?
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
I see a green button, I want to paint it black...

#22165 - 02/14/06 05:15 PM Re: Anyway to Change Button Color?
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
no colors anymore i want them to turn black....

#22166 - 02/14/06 05:44 PM Re: Anyway to Change Button Color?
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
If the filtering of broad spectrum light by the button to pass what appears as green is not too narrow a filtering, it could be allowing little or no red, very little orange, just a bit of yellow, most of the green band, a bit of blue, and very little or no violet/ultraviolet. So if one were to put a bright enough “pure blue” LED light source behind the button, 80% of that blue might not make it through, but what did make it through would be seen as blue. In a darkened room, then you’ll see a blue button. If the room has a decent amount of light in it, however, there will be enough green reflectance from the face of the button to ruin the ‘blue illusion.’

Another option that would be some work, but less than molding a new button, would be to obtain a 5, 8 or 10mm diameter blue LED. If you can ‘flex wire’ the LED, then drill a hole in the button that will allow the LED to fit in the button snugly and travel with the button when pressed. If you will attach the LED in a stationary manner, drill a hole in the button that will allow the LED to protrude a bit but is just large enough to allow the button to be depressed and released easily, using the rim of the button that is around the LED while the LED itself does not move. With light misty coats, paint the button black or blue before combining the button with the LED and switch again. The LED will require only a very small fraction of the rated current to be bright when in view so be sure to be generous with the value of the series resistor. If the LED is not diffuse enough, you might need to alter the surface.

If all that is too much trouble, paint the button black and remove its light source and add a status LED nearby. Or provide a switch somewhere out of view and just turn the button location into a status light.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 89 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM