Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#9919 - 04/01/08 05:02 PM Re: Panasonic Home Theatre
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
A real problem with Hi End audio is that it is either completely unknown or viewed as an obscure and elitist preoccupation by the public in general.
Video's a different story. Your local Best Buy can pedal $4000 TV's but can't aford to carry $1000 receivers because they just don't sell.
I'm not sure it's all because people are lazy, Hi end audio is just not well known, and is generally viewed as too complicated to be understood, thus the florishing trade of the custom installer.
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

#9920 - 04/01/08 07:59 PM Re: Panasonic Home Theatre
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
Koyaan:

You make a very good point. I would add however that there's high end -- as in compared to Best Buy -- and then there's truly high end.

I think what's frustrating for people like DaveWoj and others who have been solicited for audio advice, is that there is a world of great gear out there that is oftentimes not that much more expensive than the junk at the big box stores -- particularly some of the great subs, speakers, DVD players, etc. available online -- and frankly, not that much more involved to set up. But people seem to close their minds and their wallets when they don't hear "Sony" "Panasonic" or "Bose" in the list of options.

So while I would never expect the masses to buy into the whole audio-nerd world of tubes, exotic cartridges, interconnects, boutique power amps, external DACs, etc., a great budget system can be had if you're willing to do a little homework, ask questions and shop outside of normal bricks and mortar retail channels.

This sort of information is readily at hand for anyone with an Internet connection and is often utilized when they shop for cars, refrigerators, cameras, TVs, dog food, doctors, etc.
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

#9921 - 04/01/08 08:48 PM Re: Panasonic Home Theatre
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
He gets really angry and starts yelling, "you guys buy from the internet and then you call me for help. I can't help you. That is the problem with internet companies, there is no customer support" I don't argue with this guy, just continue to look around. I realize that the saleman has just lost touch with what is going on outside of the store he works in.
The irony in this is that my experience has been the exact opposite: you've got internet companies like Outlaw that offer trained, competent support staff for free plus communities like ours for those "off hours" questions, and then you've got specialty shops that won't even tell you how to disable a subwoofer on a surround processor that they sold you unless you pay them an additional fee for setting it up. Granted, not all shops are that way, but it's become more common.

#9922 - 04/01/08 10:20 PM Re: Panasonic Home Theatre
nomoneybutgoodsound Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mission,BC
I agree with you, the my limited experience with Outlaw, ATI and Axiom has all been very good. My questions have all been answered and especially when I just did not get it the first time. And of course the forums. Lastly, no rude salesmen.

#9923 - 04/02/08 03:03 PM Re: Panasonic Home Theatre
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

The Interent-direct merchant (i.e. Outlaw, Axiom, Hsu Research) also has one other really big advantage -- they only have to know/support their product line; and therefore, their depth of knowledge is oftentimes much greater when it comes to features, specs and set up. Heck, they know the product from the ground up!

Contrast that with a conventional retailer who carries dozens of product lines and you begin to see how hard it is to understand and support those products at the same level.
System Pics

#9924 - 04/02/08 04:18 PM Re: Panasonic Home Theatre
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Hadn't thought of it until Gonk mentioned it, but the immediacy of these forums and online communities can't be overstated. Personally, I've gotten immeasurable help from the knowledge pool in the Saloon, and "business-hours" don't exist. I've found very little reason to even look in audio shops since I started surfing for info.

#9925 - 04/02/08 06:40 PM Re: Panasonic Home Theatre
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Well said, tru blu. Vive la Forums!
System Pics

#9926 - 04/02/08 08:03 PM Re: Panasonic Home Theatre
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
Tru Blu has it right!

I work hard for my money and I always do a reasonable amount of research on a product before I purchase it. Forums like this one are one way to do that research and get advice before plunking down some cash. But many folks are intimidated by forums or don't want to take the time to wade through long threads and piece together a recommendation.

Like many here I get questions from folks about AV/HT gear. Its funny, but most want confirmation what the've seen/heard at a brick and mortar store is OK. For example, I've given up telling people that comparing flat screen TV's at BB's "Wall of TVs" is a waste of time. I try to steer folks to reputable sites such as CNET to research their purchases. While an audio or videophile might challenge CNET's conclusions, for the most part highly rated items will meet expectations and people will be satisfied with their purchase.

Now I'll get off my soap box...

#9927 - 04/03/08 08:23 PM Re: Panasonic Home Theatre
DaveWoj Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ft Johnson, NY
I do have to say that this is one of my favorite forums. Lots of great info and really great people who, no matter how hi-end their system, will never put down anyone else.
I'm sure there have been some "stupid" questions posted on these forums but they have always been answered in a non condescending and civilized manner.
I didn't think my post would draw so much attention but I suppose we all have to vent our frustrations every once in a while.
There is nothing more frustrating then doing all your research, knowing all the specs and being an informed shopper only to have a Best Buy salesman try to tell you the exact opposite or convince you that you need to buy the $99 HDMI cable otherwise that $3,000 LCD TV just won't give you the highest quality picture. I argued with a salesman for so long one time that he almost convinced me that I knew nothing. I feel for the uniformed person who gets taken advantage of by those salesmen if he did that to me.

#9928 - 04/04/08 06:05 PM Re: Panasonic Home Theatre
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
Those of us who have been tempted by $2000
power cabels , little wooden tripods to support our speaker cabels, and of course the wonderful clocks that made eveything sound better are probably in no position to judge anyone gullable.
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 296 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM