Koyaan:

You make a very good point. I would add however that there's high end -- as in compared to Best Buy -- and then there's truly high end.

I think what's frustrating for people like DaveWoj and others who have been solicited for audio advice, is that there is a world of great gear out there that is oftentimes not that much more expensive than the junk at the big box stores -- particularly some of the great subs, speakers, DVD players, etc. available online -- and frankly, not that much more involved to set up. But people seem to close their minds and their wallets when they don't hear "Sony" "Panasonic" or "Bose" in the list of options.

So while I would never expect the masses to buy into the whole audio-nerd world of tubes, exotic cartridges, interconnects, boutique power amps, external DACs, etc., a great budget system can be had if you're willing to do a little homework, ask questions and shop outside of normal bricks and mortar retail channels.

This sort of information is readily at hand for anyone with an Internet connection and is often utilized when they shop for cars, refrigerators, cameras, TVs, dog food, doctors, etc.
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics