mahansm: I was reading a feature article in the Washington Post magazine the other day -- it was about things / technologies that are becoming obsolete. Included on the list was "stereo systems."

As you point out:

Quote:
Most people don't even know what good audio reproduction sounds like. They've been exposed to car audio, boom car audio, box stereo, concert loudspeakers, table radios, and Ipods. None of these come close to the original sound of the music.
I think iPods, HTiaB systems, and cheap/portable audio in general is killing hifi. Most consumers are perfectly happy listening to lossy formats played through a cheap DAC hooked up to a $10 pair of ear buds. And they think it sounds GOOD. If they only knew how much information they were missing! For the dwindling few who do have systems at home, they're often big-box-store junk, improperly set up and used solely for background music. Does anyone critically listen to music anymore?!

On the home theater front, I'm stunned how many people will gladly spend $3,000 or more on a beautiful HD display, get a hi-def DVD player, and then skimp on a boomy, distorted surround HT in a box. Great picture. Terrible sound. And they don't even realize it.

I guess ignorance is bliss.
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics