I'm not the best at the finer points of amp design, but I can offer a few quick thoughts. First, check out two of the qualifiers associated with each of those ratings: "Hz" (the specific frequency they are measuring output at) and "THD" (the total harmonic distortion). They are measuring at a single frequency (1000Hz for front channels and 100Hz for the sub and surrounds) and at 10% THD.

Now, look at the specs for one of Outlaw's amps. I'll use my Model 7500 as an example. It is rated at 200Wx5 at 8 ohms, going to 300W at 4 ohms, and is measured from 20Hz to 20,000Hz (the full range of normal human hearing) at less than 0.03% THD. Other Outlaw amps are rated at under 0.05% or 0.08%, depending on the amp. Even the Model 1070 (which, as a receiver, shoe-horns its amps into a smaller chassis that is shared with other systems) is rated at less than 0.08% THD over the full 20Hz to 20,000Hz range and with all channels driven. The HTiB is measuring at 333 times more distortion than the Model 7500 and at a single frequency point (distortion could be better or worse at other frequencies - we have no way of knowing). That is how they are getting those numbers. TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. wink

I'm sure many of us around here are asked to offer advise on purchases from time to time, and it can be tricky. Consumer education (both for operating equipment and for understanding the overall technology associated with our hobby) is something of a pet peeve of mine, and where some people are willing to read, listen, and learn enough to make truly informed decisions, others don't want to - they want the instant gratification of a simple purchase and a simple setup. We do what we can, of course, but we can't win 'em all...