Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#9778 - 11/28/07 12:02 PM Odd question…maybe
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Do any of you outlaws and gunslingers miss your home systems when you're out of town? Just got back from two weeks in FL and, weirdly enough, I was surprised by how much I actually didn't much think of mine. I'm listening to the White Stripes' White Blood Cells on vinyl right now, and though my setup clearly sounds better than any audio I heard during my break (actually, I'm even more sure of what a standout this RR 2150/NHT combo is), I didn't expect it to be so out-of-sight/out-of-mind—especially considering the amount of time and energy I've spent piecing it together the past year or so. Only mentioned "my system" once even, when my amazing basshead brother-in-law's subwoofer clearly needed an adjustment. I realize all this is probably just normal—and truth is, the wife and I could use a few more beachy-type getaways—but it was just something that popped into my head…

Also, just as an aside, in traversing FL in a rent-a-car the wife and I figured out that a couple of CDs I brought along really made for great driving music if anyone is looking for different, eclectic stuff. They worked for us anyway:

Miles Davis - In A Silent Way and Filles de Kilimanjaro
Burning Spear - Marcus Garvey
Various artists - Chess Blues Classics, 1957-67
Bob Marley - Exodus
Elmore James - Shake Your Moneymaker: The Best of the Fire Sessions
Latin Playboys - Latin Playboys
Amy Winehouse - Back To Black
Gil Evans - Out Of The Cool
Various artists - Red Hot + Riot

#9779 - 11/29/07 08:11 PM Re: Odd question…maybe
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
I don't know If I miss it per se, particularly if I'm preoccupied with other things while I'm away. I can tell you, however, that it's interesting to see how much I appreciate it when I've been away from it.

So to somewhat dovetail on your comments about listening to music on the ride back home, I am always stunned about how much information you miss and/or how much different things sound when you pop that CD out of your car radio or desktop boombox and stick it in your home system.

Lastly, I don't know how your brother-in-law's system sounds, but the bass comment makes me think of how many people have truly awful sounding systems they think sound great. I think home theater has been a real culprit in this. I've seen people who have big buck flat panel TVs and would have an otherwise good HT if it weren't for the junky home-theater-in-a-box system they bought to go with it. They must think all that boomy bass on everything from the Super Bowl to a Right Guard commercial is normal. And they really sound bad with music.
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

#9780 - 11/30/07 05:56 PM Re: Odd question…maybe
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
I find that when I'm away on vacation I do miss my system whenever there's a lul in other acivities. I don't really pay that much attention to sound quality while I'm driving, but listening to a CD through a condo tv/dvd player is almost painful.
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

Who's Online
0 registered (), 271 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM