The amount of program material heard around 80hz is much higher for music than for Movies or TV. Concert performance disks excepted of course. It is not a glaring error and the wife and I are the only ones who notice. Different media types are mixed differently as well. The audio mix on my BluRay of Surfs Up has little in common with my CD of Steely Dan's AJA when viewed from the mix engineers point of view.

I went from Polk SDA's fed by a Pass Labs designed pre-stage so I knew stereo quality was going to take a hit. It came as no surprise the $500.00 Outlaw could not match the stereo output quality of the $1,500 stereo only unit. I listened to that stereo for better than 15 years. I can hear the difference where the extra crossover point has been added.

In the spirit of full disclosure the Outlaw is much better for TV and Movies even when listening two channel only. Fed via HDMI from either the Dish receiver or OPPO BDP-103 the Outlaw does much better with downmixing. For two channel CD reproduction I use the analog out R/L from the OPPO BDP-103 and HDMI for all multi channel. Radio stunk on ice this morning so I loaded a handful of Little Feat disks into the Sony ES2000 carousel feeding the Outlaw via optical through the toss link, (SPDIF I think it is called). It sounds nice but could be better.

Am I nitpicking? Probably

It is a wish list thread so I thought I would throw out a feature set I think myself and others might find useful. While I would prefer a full range option the Velodyne unit you linked is similar to what I was thinking. With the current level of processing power available building something with those capabilities (and more) into a Pre/Pro should be a doable thing.

Edited by Stephen B (12/20/15 03:29 PM)