You set your crossover point based on the capabilities of each speaker. If you don't change out the speakers, the crossover point should stay the same whatever mode you are listening to. I am not sure what advantage you would gain in adjusting the slope if you are not swapping speakers, since the slope is just a rate of change for the transition from one side of the crossover to the other. I don't know about most folks but when I adjust the crossover for my setup, in a given room, I don't mess with it much after that. It sounds as if you would like to use it more as a sort of treble/bass control. There are a lot of equalizers out there that may serve your purpose but I am pretty sure Outlaw is done with firmware updates for the 975 and probably have gone way past the point where they could change it for the new processor.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner