I tend to agree with what you say about throwing us a bone. I had (and still have) the 950, but HDMI switching became an issue. When the 978 was cancelled, I bought a Marantz SR5005 from Outlaw to buy some time. I was very excited about the news of the new processor and have hung in as long as I could. Personally I think the object based codecs have a chance of making a big splash in the dedicated home theater environment. I hope I end up being right. I'm spending my money betting on it. I didn't think that about 3D or even 4K at this point. To your point of offering firmware updates later, I've purchased the Marantz AV7702 mkII which is HDCD 2.2 compliant and there should be a firmware update for DTS-X in the future. I just became frustrated with the lack of information from Outlaw and have a good history with Marantz receivers. By the way, a new projector I have on the way has 3D. Not a selling point to me, but maybe it'll be a nice novelty. With the grandkids? :-)
Outlaw Model 7900
Outlaw Model 5000 (for the ceiling speakers)
Marantz AV7702 MK2
Oppo BDP-105D
Axiom M80's, GoldenEar Super XXL, GoldenEar Aon 3's (sides and rears), GoldenEar HTR 7000's (in-ceiling for Atmos/DTS:X)
Outlaw LFM1-Plus and EX
Directv HD DVR
2 HD Monster Power centers
PS3
Harmony One