Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#95017 - 04/06/15 02:08 PM Re: 975 vs 990.....Time to update?? Gains or loss? [Re: Baramon!]
Baramon! Offline
Gunslinger

My harmoney remote is also about 8 years old, screen cracked and not really all there. Still works.

My Oppo 93 does a great job but I also find myself now not using discs anymore. maybe one a month. Where I used to keep a very regemented Netflix queue going I now rarely do and down to one disc a month. We got expanded movie channels on cable as a free upgrade and many of the movies end up there.

I love the Marantz unit previouly mentioned but other than Audessy set up that unit would be duplicating most of my amenities. I recall 4 years ago starting a thread on the saloon about a stripped down proscessor concept when I got my Oppo as the likely succeesor given that blackbox add on's are more cost effective.

At this time I can justify the 975 as mostly an upgrade with very little downside. I have to paint the room and disassemble the system I am amazed how many wires are back there. 6 thick from the oppo to the 990, 5 balanced from the 990 to the 7500, 2 balanced from the 990 to the SMS-1 (sub eq), on and on.......

Basically the polution from all these cables, power supplies, Routers, wifi, eq's. Music servers, etc might be degrading the sound to some degree.

Atmos kind of intrigues me but I'd have to figure out some sort of add on to my M&K's. Not sure I really want anymore speakers in my living room.

#95467 - 11/09/15 12:48 PM Re: 975 vs 990.....Time to update?? Gains or loss? [Re: Baramon!]
Baramon! Offline
Gunslinger

QUick update..........

got the 975 and finally in service. This unit works great for my system and gives me what I need instead of spending on additional technology.

Im running an Olive music server, Oppo 93 and Velodyne SMS-1 (Sub EQ). My radio shack meter allowed me good calibration nd the SMS-1 will work thru the sub bugaboo's (as it did previously).

The Olive has a great DAC and sounds even better running via analog thru the 975. Bottom line it sounds better than the 990!!

Terrific product. Very grateful Olive found this market niche allowing a choice to not duplicate and pay for what we already have.

#95493 - 11/19/15 05:47 PM Re: 975 vs 990.....Time to update?? Gains or loss? [Re: Baramon!]
Baramon! Offline
Gunslinger

I am thrilled with the new 975 with a big upgrade in 2.1 analog performance. Basically my Olive music server DAC feeding analog sweetness seems to sound nicer thru my 975 than did it thru the 990. With the oppo BDP-93 the jury still out.

Overall operation with HDMI is just great paired with a new Harmony Ultimate remote. I also integrated a Mac Mini into the system which I don't plan on doing much streaming with but for slide shows with music, playing youtube concerts and streaming sports works great!

At this price point I am thrilled to be "Upgrading" the 990 and only buying what I need. My Olive music server streams online radio, has a 2 TB hard drive and employs Bluetooth. My system runs into 6 hard wired zones so I don't need much of what the super Marantz and I would imagine next great Outlaw flagship processer will have.

I can use a tape measure, my Radio Shack sound meter and velodyne SMS-1 sub eq system and I get all the room correction I need. I enjoyed the 990's calibration thing but in less than 10 min I can get my system tight.

Bottom line is the system sounds great and is easier to use due to the new remote!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 245 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM