Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#928 - 01/25/02 07:59 PM 1050 bass management and non digital soundtracks
charlie Offline
Desperado

First my setup:

1050 and an old amp for LFE. DVD and DirecTV sources with both analog stereo and digital optical audio.

Front left - large
Front center - small
Front right - large
Rear left - large
Rear center - large
Rear right - large
LFE - ON

xover - 80 hz

The issue: When listening to a source that is in DD (6.1 indicator is ON) I get traffic on the LFE, but with sources that show as 'PCM' and 'Dolby Prologic' nothing goes to the LFE. Is this normal?

I guess the related questions are whether 'PCM' and 'Dolby Prologic' send any bass to center and, if so, where the 1050 routes it - split between the fronts or LFE?

Charlie

#929 - 01/26/02 11:38 PM Re: 1050 bass management and non digital soundtracks
Hi4head Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lexington, NC
Charlie;

With the configuration as you have described, you should be getting something out of your sub - if your movies actually have information below the 80Hz level.

ProLogic doesn't know to send anything to your LFE. The only way that your sub is going to get any signal from a non-DD source to use the 1050's bass management.

Something that you may wish to try, vary the crossover level to a higher point and see if you get any output from the sub. Additionally, you might want to change the setting for your front mains to "small" and see what happens (quite a bit I suspect).

You might want to read the thread started by Jay-1.

#930 - 01/27/02 02:49 AM Re: 1050 bass management and non digital soundtracks
charlie Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Hi4head:
Charlie;

With the configuration as you have described, you should be getting something out of your sub

You might want to read the thread started by Jay-1.

Thanks for the reply.

I've read that thread - his issue is essentially that the reciever he had before the 1050 was a unit that had a 'bass booster' circuit that he became accustomed to. Since the 1050 is a bit more purist than that it didn't deliver what he was used to hearing.

In my setup the LFE speakers are identical to the bass sections of my mains and surrounds, so setting the mains to 'small' would be pretty pointless.

My question is on a non DD/DTS sound track (Dolby Prologic encoded PCM via the optical input) whether I should expect any bass on center, and if so, where the 1050 would route it, since the center has no bass section and is set to small.

A related question is regarding the DSP modes. Say the 'Jazz' mode for example: Does it, when breaking 2 PCM channels out to 5, send bass to the 3 new channels? What about center in particular? If so ... where would THIS get routed?

On 6.1 material the LFE can literally make the window blinds shake - pretty sure that's working OK!

But I ONLY hear the LFE on DD/DTS via digital inputs - never in the other modes.

The users manual says any bass that is directed to a 'small' channel gets routed to LFE and I wonder if no bass is ever routed to center except perhaps in DD/DTS or if the manual is wrong.

Charlie

#931 - 01/28/02 03:13 PM Re: 1050 bass management and non digital soundtracks
charlie Offline
Desperado

I've done some experimenting - pretty sure it works as stated above.

Is anyone knowledgable enough to help with this, or should I start thinking about contacting tech support?

Charlie

PS - It sounds fine, just seems odd bass management-wise.

[This message has been edited by charlie (edited January 28, 2002).]

#932 - 01/28/02 05:15 PM Re: 1050 bass management and non digital soundtracks
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
When I had my crossover set to 80 Hz, and fronts set to "large," with both surrounds and center set to "small," I got almost nothing at all out of the subwoofer on ProLogic tracks. Putting the mains to "small" fixed that.

I believe ProLogic sends most of the bass to the main speakers. I know that the surrounds are rolled off at around 100 Hz or so, I wouldn't be surprised if the center was, as well.

Dolby Digital, of course, sends full-range signals to all channels. There is also the LFE. So it makes sense that you'd get a lot more going to the sub with Dolby Digital enabled.

#933 - 01/28/02 06:24 PM Re: 1050 bass management and non digital soundtracks
charlie Offline
Desperado

Thanks Matt!

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew Hill:
I believe ProLogic sends most of the bass to the main speakers. I know that the surrounds are rolled off at around 100 Hz or so, I wouldn't be surprised if the center was, as well.

I suspected this, but I really don't know much about the encoding method or specs for Prologic.

If this is so, then two conclusions follow:

1) People with 'large' front speakers will only get LFE with DD/DTS sound tracks. Digital surround is the future of theater sound anyway.

2) The DSP modes don't send bass to surrounds or center either.

If anyone (Scott?) can confirm this I would appreciate it.

Charlie

[This message has been edited by charlie (edited January 29, 2002).]

Who's Online
0 registered (), 306 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM