After a couple months of procrastination, I finally finished up my BDP-105 review this weekend - which mostly meant getting what I'd written weeks ago ported into HTML and adding some pictures. You can read the review here.

Originally Posted By: 73Bruin
A year or two ago, you poo-hoo'ed my suggestion that Oppo include HDMI and digital inputs on the BDP-95 so that other forms of input could benefit from the video processor and high quality dac's built into the BDP-95. I think Hank was correct and that in some future release, including room correction would make a lot of sense. Personally, I could see Oppo adding additional digtal inputs as the next iteration, however.

The capabilities of the System-on-Chip hardware available to OPPO has improved significantly over the last couple of generations, aided by pressure to make MHL work for the HDTV market. Before that happened, it was impractical to include HDMI inputs. It's still rather difficult, which is why you don't see many other people doing it - and you only see the coaxial, optical, and USB inputs on the flagship player. If the System-on-Chip makers that build for disc players get together with Audyssey or some other room correction software company, we might see this happen. Unfortunately, it only makes sense if the player is also doubling as pre-amp/processor, and that may be too niche a role for the players involved to have interest in pursuing this. After all, room correction upstream of a surround receiver or processor is conceptually different from video processing upstream of a display. Video processing upstream of a display's been happening for a long, long time now, in a variety of ways (in players, in set top boxes, in receivers and surround processors, and in standalone video processors). Room correction outside of a surround receiver or processor has been rarely done, and then only in expensive dedicated room correction systems. I could certainly be wrong, but I still doubt you'll see room correction in a Blu-ray player unless it happens to be purpose-built as a surround processor with a disc player added in as a bonus. At that point, room correction is going to be an appropriate inclusion, but I'd have a hard time calling such a device a disc player.

Originally Posted By: bobm
If you pair an OPPO player up with the new Outlaw 975, are the internal DACs and decoding in the OPPO player basically unused if using HDMI out? I imagine you can use the analog out for 2 channel stereo. Do I have that correct? Thanks Bob

You are half correct. The internal DACs are unused when you rely on the HDMI output for audio. The decoding (converting bitstreams to LPCM) is still available, however.