Originally Posted By: gonk

If you use the stereo analog signal path (bypass mode on the 990) and leave the 990's bass management enabled, you will get a signal to the sub. Also, have you done any listening tests with the 7.1 analog input and the 990's bass management enabled? It provides the "simplest" solution, and the only way to know for certain that the A/D/A cycle is objectionable is to listen for it.

I haven't tried that yet, but if you are referring to this diagram that you posted, if I did that using the 990's CD Analog input and set the front speakers to "small" and sub to "yes", then doesn't that send full-range to the sub (black lines on your diagram)? If it does, then I'd have to turn on the active crossover on the sub, right?

When using the 7.1 Analog input, I currently have 990's speakers set to large and Oppo set to small and is doing the bass management. I haven't tried the inverse of that; setting to Oppo to large speakers and the 990 to small for it to do the A/D/A bass management. I agree that would be the simplest solution, but I'm just wondering what all is involved internally with the 990's A/D/A, such as bit rate, sample rate, etc. It may not be noticeable on CD and DVD, but with BD Dolby True HD, It would definitely be a lower bit rate.

Edited by FAUguy (02/18/13 09:22 AM)