Saturday afternoon the Oppo 95 got delivered. As of now, I have the 2ch Stereo RCA L/R, Center, L/R Surround, and Sub (as 5.1) all going into the Outlaw 990's 7.1 analog input. I changed all the speaker settings on the 990 to Large so that it will not do any A/D/A conversion and apply bass management, then went into the Oppos settings and selected Small for all the speakers and set the crossover for 80Hz.

With this setup, I've played a couple BD movies with Dolby True HD, and the sound quality is quite good, and the 80Hz crossover seems to work just fine.

Then I tried some standard CDs on the Oppo (through the 990's 7.1 input). Since only the front two speakers have the CD playing through them, I lowered the crossover on the Oppo to 60Hz and then to 40Hz to see if I could hear a difference. With it at 60Hz there was actually a bit more "fullness" to the low end, but couldn't hear any difference with at 40Hz (remember that everything below those crossover points are being sent to the sub).

One thing I did notice (that I don't care for) is that when using the 990's 7.1 Analog input for 2ch CD audio from the Oppo (with the above settings), that I can hear some white-noise (ssssssss) through the center and two surround speakers. After some experimentation, I found that when using any input on the 990 (7.1 analog, digital) that the 990 is actually sending this white noise to the amp, which then outputs to the speakers. This is not noticeable when watching HDVT, DVD, or BD that has sound coming from all 5 speakers. But when only using the front L/R speakers for CD playback, having this white-noise from the center and surrounds is irritating. I went into the 990's menu and was able to turn off the two side surround speakers (which did help a lot), but for the center it can't be set to "none" while the surrounds are set to "none". Out of curiosity, I tried the optical toslink from the Oppo to the 990 (with all speakers on the 990 set to large), and had the 990 do the D/A decoding, and with the mode set to "Stereo". With this setup, there was no white-noise from the center and surrounds, since the 990 "turned off" that signal path internally as it was decoding a digital stereo signal and only sending out a L/R stereo signal. When I then change inputs on the 990 back to 7.1, the white-noise was back on all speakers, and again I had to change the surrounds to "none" to stop the output from the 990.

Overall, I'm please with the Oppo, but the 990 is getting me a bit irritated now because of this. So to sum it it, I have to do "work" depending on which source I want to use:
1) For HDTV (optical) from cable box, have the 990 set on "small" for all speakers with it using its internal bass crossover.
2) For DVD/BD playback through the 7.1 Analog input, change all the speakers size to Large on the 990, which will bypass its A/D/A bass crossovers, since the crossovers are already set on the Oppo.
3) For CD playback through the 7.1 Analog input, speaker size set to Large on the 990 (as in #2), but turn off the surround speakers by selecting "none" to stop the white-noise.

The only way around #3 is to connect the 2ch Stereo RCAs from the Oppo to the CD Analog input on the 990. That way the 990 won't send any signal to the center and surround speakers, eliminating the white-noise sound from those. But in doing this setup, having the mode set to "Bypass", and the front left and right speakers set to "Large", the Sub will not be in use. I'd have to set the front speakers to "small" on the 990, which then introduces the A/D/A that I wanted to avoid.

Hmmmm!

Edited by FAUguy (02/18/13 05:46 AM)