Originally Posted By: FAUguy
You said that on the 990's 7.1 inputs that it applies A/D/A conversion, I was not aware of this. That means that if the 95 is connected to the 990 in this manner for BD movies to muti-chanel audio discs, than the 990 is doing additional A/D/A, I guess for bass management? But for regular 2ch CD output from the 95 using the dedicated stereo RCA out, and connected to the 990's CD RCA input, does it still do extra A/D/A, or will the "Bypass Mode" circumvent this? I do wish the 990 had 2ch XLR inputs like the 7500 amp. I guess if I wanted to, when only playing CDs, I could disconnect the XLRs going between the 7500 and 990, and connect the Oppo 95 directly to the 7500 amp - though this would not allow use of the sub.

The A/D/A is for bass management, and if I remember correctly (haven't used a Model 990 in a number of years) you can operate a stereo analog input in bypass mode without this processing.

For the length of run you're dealing with, I wouldn't worry about the lack of XLR input on the 990 - I would just use the RCA stereo output. It will work just as well as the XLR.

Originally Posted By: FAUguy
The other reason I went with the Oppo 95 was for the Component video out, since my 2001 Panasonic Tube HDTV only has (two) Component inputs for 480p/1080i. I wanted to be able to play BD discs at 1080i. I understand that if the discs have a certain "flag" that the player will downconvert to 480p over Component, unless you "back up" the discs your self and remove the "flag". I wasn't aware that the Oppo 95 didn't upconvert DVDs to 1080i over component. Does it upconvert DVDs when HDMI is used? In that connection guide, you mentioned the HD Fury product. I'm wondering if that may be best for connecting to the Oppo 95's HDMI output, then have the HD Fury connected to the TV via Component. My only concern with that is any degrading or altering that the HD Fury does in the HDMI-to-Component process. The HD Furry 3 is $249, but the version 4 is $399 since it supports 3D, which I don't need, even though the video processor looks to be better.

Technically, manufacturers have been forbidden from scaling DVD to HD resolutions at component outputs since the time that scaling DVD players started appearing. The limit was always 480p (deinterlacing only). Some manufacturers cheated with that rule, but it was rare and pretty much stopped by the time the HD format war got going. The result was a clear kick in the teeth to early adopters of HDTV who (like yourself) lacked an HDCP-complient digital video input, and it was probably driven in large part by a desire to steer HD video signals onto HDCP-compliant connections (meaning some DVI and all HDMI). It's a problem for some early HDMI displays, as well - my parents have a 26" HDTV from Panasonic with HDMI inputs that implement HDCP so poorly that not even Panasonic sources can establish a successful HDCP handshake. Device's like the HD Fury allow some flexibility there. It depends to some degree on how long you plan to hang on to that display, of course. If you do plan to wait for OLED to get well established and reasonably priced, the HD Fury with better video processing might be worth the extra money. Also consider that the Model 990's DVI switching or a separate HDMI switcher could let you share that HD Fury among multiple HDMI video sources (like your cable box) if you wanted to do that.